Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never realized it but I wont go for a ride unless I have a couple hours. If I cant get 40 miles in I just dont go. I am able to get 2-3 rides in per week. Anyone else like this? I need to try a shorter ride with harder intervals but I really enjoy riding and usually ride as long as I can, 40-80 miles at a time.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
It all depends on our goals and available time doesn't it? Me (for what it matters) ~ 3-4 rides per week. One "long" ride (steady or 10 minutes ints) of 30-64 miles, 2-3 rides doing shorter intervals (2-5 mins) or hill efforts. Those rides are always 24-30 miles. No shorter or "easy" rides.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
10 miles... which includes some long climbs, that I can fit into my lunch hour (which includes changing clothes, etc)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,631 Posts
Minimum distance? Don't have one.

I do however have a minimum time. If it takes me longer to get dressed in roadie kit and get out the door than I'll have time to ride, I don't bother.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Don't have a mile limit but I have ridden for as little as 20mins doing laps at a local park when it was all the time I had and I really wanted to ride.
If I had to find the time to do at least 40 miles every time, I would almost never ride.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I never realized it but I wont go for a ride unless I have a couple hours. If I cant get 40 miles in I just dont go. I am able to get 2-3 rides in per week. Anyone else like this? I need to try a shorter ride with harder intervals but I really enjoy riding and usually ride as long as I can, 40-80 miles at a time.
Mine is 10-15 miles

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I never realized it but I wont go for a ride unless I have a couple hours. If I cant get 40 miles in I just dont go.
I wouldn't ride much at all if I limited it to that. I commute 6 miles each way nearly every weekday almost year-round, and most weekends I try to get in a ride of 20 or 30 miles. And I'll grab the bike to run an errand to a store, even if it's only a couple of miles. Every ride is worthwhile, to me.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
It's about time for me. I don't mind an easy hour spin on my off days. Heck sometimes I even wear my SPD sandals and don't wear a helmet and putz around town and have ice cream.
If it's on my lunch hour I generally run, I can do 5 miles in 35 minutes so that's a more efficient use of my time.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
On my road bike I am 45 minutes minimum. That comes to about 17 miles, but I prefer at least 20 miles. On my mtn bike I like to get in at least 2 hours on the trails and I am happy to get 1 of those in per week. I have found a short fun mtn ride I can do from the house that comes in at 12 miles about half dirt and half pavement. What makes it worth doing is steep tough climb followed by fun descent. Perfect if want mtn miles in short time span. However when pressed for time I mostly break out the road bike since I can get sustained hour 98% max effort pretty easily. That is in fact my big reason for a road bike. To make best use my limited after work ride time. Keeps me fit and 100 times more interesting that the gym. If I have less than 45 min I will probably just run.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I hop on the townie or mtb for quick errands sometimes several times a day... a few blocks / a few minutes of casual pedaling, wearing whatever I happen to be wearing.

But yeah, for a full lycra road ride, I prefer to get at least a couple of hours, though I've done lots of shorter than an hour rides simply to get a ride in.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I don't have a minimum either. The way I see it, if I'm on the bike, even for a minute I'm happier than when I was on two feet.

·
Seeking shades of grey
1,804 Posts
It's time, not distance. In the winter I have some workouts that may only last 45 minutes on the trainer (usually I do 60-90 minutes) that are harder than my 3 hour summer rides. I do a short commute that is only 10 minutes a few times a week too. You find the pleasure or value in the brief stuff too but a lot of this comes being able to ride from the door. If someone needs to drive to a location to begin riding I can see how this makes shorter rides not worth the bother.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I usually do a 40-60 mile on every ride, based on a 3 times a week schedule. I try to finish it in 3 hours (mostly flat roads) and keep my speed maintained. However, i find myself not improving much so i might plan on going to longer distance after reading some of the replies here.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,663 Posts
On my road bike I am 45 minutes minimum. That comes to about 17 miles, but I prefer at least 20 miles. On my mtn bike I like to get in at least 2 hours on the trails and I am happy to get 1 of those in per week. I have found a short fun mtn ride I can do from the house that comes in at 12 miles about half dirt and half pavement. What makes it worth doing is steep tough climb followed by fun descent. Perfect if want mtn miles in short time span. However when pressed for time I mostly break out the road bike since I can get sustained hour 98% max effort pretty easily. That is in fact my big reason for a road bike. To make best use my limited after work ride time. Keeps me fit and 100 times more interesting that the gym. If I have less than 45 min I will probably just run.
an hour at 98%? really...how long have you been super-pro?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
an hour at 98%? really...how long have you been super-pro?
I think our definition of 98% is different.

When I ride, I ride at max capacity for as long as I can, TT style. My heart rate is up and I am pushing. I always ride this way. When I say 98% I mean I am leaving nothing on the table. It does not mean I am as fast as a pro. Heck anyone can ride flat out for a while. What make someone a pro is that their "casual pace" is still faster than my flat out TT pace. I rarely ride a casual pace ever. It it either max of what I think I can do or a descent where pedaling would make me go too fast.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.