Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
on the road bike, 1990. i was 11 years old and my parents had bought me a bridgestone rb-3 the year before. every night i would ride laps around the neighborhood after dinner (still light, not in the dark). i don't know what happened, but from what we were told, i apparently hit a parked car. i got a concussion and was found laying in the street. right shoulder was messed up, and had road rash on my face, arm and leg. i don't remember anything for about 4 hours. i just remember having x-rays of my shoulder and then going back to the emergency room and asking my dad where are we and what happened. i was not wearing a helmet at the time, which was stupid.

on the mountain bike, there have been a ton of crashes, but i would say one of the better ones was during a race in 1994. this was my first mountain bike race and it rained 6+ inches in the 12 hours leading up to the race and was still raining. the course was just nasty. on one of the descents, i lost my front wheel at the top and the decent was so muddy it was like a slip and slide and i ended up sliding head first down the decent and into a downed tree head first cracking my helmet. the race cost me a helmet, chain, cassatte, shifters and all new cables. expensive race, but had a blast.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
1982 on a solo training ride doing about the low 20's on the flat, a woman ran a stop sign while crossing the road left to right in front of me. Hit her squarely on the passenger door, went through her passenger window with an explosion of safety glass and ended up half in and half out of her car. 8 broken ribs, punctured lung, bruised heart. One week in hospital. I don't remember doing it, but I must have turned hard right just before I hit her, as the only damage to my bike was a pretzeled handlebar.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
In 2008, I crashed on a downhill high speed turn in a criterium. Fractured my femur, clavicle, and pelvis. Funny thing is, I knew right away my collarbone was broken, but I just thought my hip and leg were bruised. And so I was limping around the hospital for a bit before the doctors told me my leg and hip were fractured.

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
I've had many, many bicycle crashes, but luckily never broken a single bone. I guess that means I'm invulnerable or whatever.

One great crash happened several years ago. I had just moved back to San Francisco from a more flat area (Morro Bay, CA) and was not in the best shape. I was out on a little ride with two friends and they kept dropping me on all of the climbs. Finally, we got to a long descent and my competitive juices were flowing so I shot off the front as fast as I could. There was a slight left-hand bend at the bottom which I over cooked. I saw a large curb which I was approaching and I got spooked and locked up the rear wheel and slid sideways into the curb. Both the bike and I went airborne and somersaulted. I did a flip and landed on my back resulting in a huge bruise on my thigh from hitting the handlebars and a big steak-sized patch or road rash on my hip. The bike landed on the handlebars resulting in two flat spots from grinding across the sidewalk. Both wheels got taco'd.

After laying on the sidewalk making animal noises, I got up and both my friends said that was the most awesome thing they had ever seen.

The bad part was I had to pick up my bike and carry it home as it was unrideable. The good part was, I decided to buy some new rims and learn how to build my own wheels.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Worst injury wise was back in about '77, I was 14. Some friends and I were riding our little BMX bikes home at night. We decided to cut across a parking lot that we had gone through countless times before. None of us saw the chain across the entrance because it was dark. All three of us ended up in the hospital with various injuries. I wound up with 3 broken fingers(wrapped in the chain), a broken wrist and facial lacerations from a face plant because my fingers were caught in the chain. It was pretty ugly to say the least.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My memorable wreck was back in 1998 when a drunk driver struck me from behind while traveling at 75mph - the car and I became one:eek: . Witnesses indicated the car kept going, but had returned by the time I woke up on the road. My ti bike was destroyed, I had a severe concussion, lost a lot of skin, and had quite a bit of soft tissue damage. After seven hours in the ER and a night where they kept me awake, I left the hospital the next day with the aid of a walker. I'm not sure how I survived the impact (almost totaled the car with my body), but I have a few scars and a slight limp to remember the accident by.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
rubbersoul said:
I'm sad to say my most dramatic wreck occured this year, about 7 weeks ago. My steel steerer tube broke and I landed face first, knocking me unconscious. I spent four weeks in hospital, with a broken forehead, nose, both cheekbones, upper and lower jaw and two fractured vertebrae. Had an eight hour operation to pin the bones back together. Luckly to be alive and still in pain.

Be careful out there folks!
OUCHIE! Hope your pain goes away soon.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
In 1974 or 5 I was in a club race and got squeezed off the outside of a turn. I tried to bunnyhop a drainage ditch, but it was too wide. My rear wheel hit the rim & I went end over end. Fortunately I landed on somebodies front yard. I slid on my left shoulder & the left side of my head for a couple of yards. I broke 3 ribs, 2 fingers, and the muscles in my neck were so sore I couldn't turn my head to either side for weeks.

This Jan., I was hit by a car. Bike destroyed, fortunately I wasn't hurt real bad - nothing broken anyway. The up part of this crash was 1. a lot of people stopped to help, including the driver. and 2. One of the people who stopped was a nurse. She was a babe. She had her cell phone out calling 911. They must have asked about me because she said, "He's an adult male in his mid 40s." LMAO - I'm 67! I almost asked the guy to run over me a couple more times to see if I could make it into my 30s.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
minding my own business, enjoying some crisp fall weather...doing about 28 mph on a slight downhill and noticed an auto accident scene ahead...police, EMS on site.

accident was in the middle lane, right lane of traffic still open..an old lady in a Buick sees the emerg vehicles and aborts her right turn from a side street and as I pass thru the intersection, T-bones me in the rear wheel...I got punted across time and space and impacted face-first into the trunk lid of a police cruiser.

bike helicoptered off to the left while I continued onward (and downward) and came to a stop completely underneath the cop car.

I still remember seeing the cops' shiny shoes walking all the way around the car as they tried to find the source of the impact. one officer finally looks under the vehicle and casually says 'found him'...hey, good job Sherlock.

woman was in her 90s, never even slowed down after she clobbered me...one of the cops had to give chase and pull her over. she claimed she was not aware she had hit anything.

gad.

·
fun2none
130 Posts
Dramatic bicycling accident on Calaveras Rd 05/19/2010

After watching watching ATOC stage 4 at Felter and Calaveras, I had a very serious accident on my way back to Fremont. I came around a blind corner to find a multi car backup. l locked up the rear wheel which swung the rear of bike to the right side. The rear slide steered the bike to left, towards the driver side of the rear bumper of the stopped car in front me.

At this point I had accepted that I was going to hit the car. Several thoughts were running through my mind before the impact.
* a semi truck towing an empty flatbed trailer is in the opposite lane. The cab had just passed the stopped car
* it would not be good to get thrown under a trailer; hopefully I'll go directly over the car in front of me
* the front brake is taking too long to bite under maximum hand pressure. "What's up with that?" I asked

I hit the car at the rear driver side bumper. All I remember is floating briefly in mid-air with my legs pitched up. Just before hitting the ground, time slowed down. I sensed everything in slow motion like in the Matrix. First part to hit the ground was left side of my head and immediately followed by left shoulder. I actually felt my head compress the foam inside my Bell helmet in slowed time. It felt like gently lowering your head into a pillow.

As soon my legs I hit the ground the slow motion perception ended. Initially I thought I'd walk away without any serious injuries. There was no sign of the truck. I did not see a tunnel with a comforting light at the end. Then it happened.

In a split second I was flipped over by some unseen force.
"yep...the damn trailer ran over my legs" I muttered to myself. The upside is that I felt pain and could still move my toes and right leg. At least I was not paralyzed.

Because of the ATOC event there were plenty of paramedics and ambulances in the vicinity. A fireman was giving me medical attention less a minute after I crashed. I was in the ambulance on my way to the trauma center shortly after.

The end result was a broken left femur, partially fractured left fibula, dislocated and fractured right ankle, and a lot of road rash. CAT scans showed no organ damage and no spinal injuries. It was not my time to check out that day.

On 5/19/10 the surgeon inserted a titanium rod in my femur, fixed the fibula, and right ankle. I left the hospital on 5/25/10 and checked into a care center where I have been slowly regaining the use of my left leg through daily physical therapy. With the support of my family, friends, and medical staff, I am making a good recovery.

The Milpitas PD says there were no witnesses. I'll let them worry about that. All I want to do is get back in saddle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My last thought before the guy in the pick-up hit me and the kids was oh man, this is going to hurt. It took over a half hour for paramedics to arrive at the scene of our accident. It seemed like an eternity.

Thank goodness you survived your accident and had speedy aid after it.

God speed with your recovery.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The worst wreck I have ever had was in a little pedal fire truck when I was 5.
My neighbor was to sit on the rear ledge and keep the speed in check.
Well he jumped off and I could not stop or even slow down. At the bottom of the hill there was a 90 degree right turn. At the speed I was carrying I could not make the turn and crashed into the curb.
The impact threw me about 10 feet in the air and I did multiple flips before landing.
The neighbor help me home and told my mom how cool it was and how many flips I did.
She cleaned me up and put on my suit and off we went to a wedding that afternoon.

I was beat up pretty bad but she was not missing the wedding.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
BikeRider said:
Mine was back in the mid 80's. I was coming down a hill and hit 40mph. At the bottom of the hill was a stop light which I didn't see change to red. There was a car waiting at the intersection on the right side of the road and he pulled out in front of me. There was no way to avoid hitting him and when he saw me coming he panicked and stopped. I hit the brakes and probably skidded for 15 feet before slamming into the side of the car where I then flew across the hood, rolled over and got back up. I only managed to get a small fracture in my thumb but the bike was totally destroyed, The seat stays had broken off, the top tube & down tubes were bent and just about every component was damaged, even the saddle rails were bent. I was just lucky it was a low profile foreign car and not a big truck or van or the outcome could have been much worse.
Being taken out by another rider @ 42mph going down the back side on a climb we just crested. I was down in a tuck when he hit my left side of the bars. I went down and two other riders went over me crashing too. This was a back road in CT. that had just been chip-sealed. The three of us ended up in the hospital with major road rash and lacerations. The big doofus that took me down stayed away from our group after that, probably afraid of being asked to pay for all the damage he caused.

·
Alien Musician
4,538 Posts
I was hit by a car: two kids on their way to the prom. The guy was letting his girl drive his car.

I distinctly remember the aforementioned slow-motion-time like in the matrix: very vividly everything was translucent blue and I was upside down above the car. I could look down (I'm not sure how) and could see the road, the hood, roof and trunk of the car and the edges of the sidewalk. Then a switch flipped and I was in 'real time' again and fell like a sack of potatoes in front of and to the left of the drivers side.

My bike was ruined, I was less ruined but was sitting there pulling chip 'n' seal stones out of my skin and trying to find my broken glasses and the remains of my wrecked bike.

Very memorable. I was 13 or 14 at the time and the next fall when school started a rumor had started up that I'd died in that crash! Horrifying.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Man oh man I feel ill reading all this. But it is excellent news that all have survived. I wish you all speedy and complete recovery and pleasant riding in future.

Recollecting some of my painful spills is just too much trauma. Like the one where I was mashing 5mph up a steep hill when something happened - chain slipped or something. I fell and the amount of road rash was beyond belief - more commensurate with 50mph than 5.

Or the time late 1985 when a car pulled out in front of me, towing another car with a steel cable. I was travelling at least 25mph. I swerved and tried to pass between, with obvious results. I prefer not to think of that one too much. I should have worn a helmet but didn't.

Thus I get some relief thinking about my first ever 2 accidents (after officially riding and no longer learning) aged about 5. They were dramatic all right, I guess.

The first one was simple : the front wheel hit a pile of slippery dog poo as I was rounding a corner on the pavement. No real injuries apart from the obvious 'damage'. My mother was unsympathetic and insisted I clean up outside.

Soon after, grandma was visiting and I had to demonstrate riding skills. I was doing a good 10mph down a slight hill when the front brake lever came off the bars (loose screws fell out) and swung into the front wheel. The bike and I cartwheeled a few times on the hard packed earth, stones and half bricks. No helmet - heck not even many motorcyclists had them in the late 60s. When I got up everyone looked as if they had seen a ghost, but I had not even a scratch.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.