Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had much luck with race day nutrition mainly because I have a very sensitive stomach. I usually run out of juice during the midway point of the 1/2 marathon. Does anyone have rock solid nutrition routines for 1/2 ironman tris?

· Registered
339 Posts
If you're running out of juice 6-7mi into the run, it means you're not taking in enough calories on the bike and the first half of the run. First find what agrees with your stomach. That's purely trial and error. There are some things I love when I'm racing that other people just can't stomach.

Once you find what agrees with your stomach, use more of it.

· Registered
339 Posts
I have problems with powerbars as well. I've had better success with Clif Bars and their Shot Bloks too.

On my bike ride, I was taking in calories from my bottles too with CarboPro.

How many calories you take in is up to you. I've heard calculations like 2 calories per pound of bodyweight on the bike per hour with 1g of protein per 10lbs of bodyweight per hour in the early and middle segments of the bike leg. I've also heard of people sticking to a solid number.

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Hourly rate

oroy38 said:
How many calories you take in is up to you. I've heard calculations like 2 calories per pound of bodyweight on the bike per hour with 1g of protein per 10lbs of bodyweight per hour in the early and middle segments of the bike leg. I've also heard of people sticking to a solid number.
A common number might be 200-300 calories per hour. How much you really need depends on the duration of the event, how well your body was "charged" with glycogen going into the event, how much food was left in your gut, and personal variations in how much glycogen you body can store. Only trial and error in both the quantity and type of calories will determine what works for any given person.

· Registered
87 Posts
I can't complete a half ironman (not a distance runner at all) so I usually resort to eating pizza on the sidelines.

I like the following on my pizzas:
1. Deep dish
2. Italian Sausage
3. Pepperoni
4. Green Peppers
5. Tomatoes
6. Plenty of cheese

HTH

· Registered
56 Posts
For the bike I will typically drink the fluid that is offered(gatorade or Gu) on the course and do my bottle swap at every interval and carry a second bottle with water only. If I do that it will get me roughly about 100 cals and my fluids for the hour. Gels I will take in two per hour, and I will carry two flasks so I dont mess with wrapers,I can carry more and its not messy giving me a grand total of around 300 calories a hour.I will also use different flavors to mix it up and maybe add some caffiene twards the end of the Bike. Keeping it simple will allow you to stay consistant with feeding and make sure you are getting enough, dont complicate things, at this point you will start getting tired so you keep it simple and focus on the race itself and your performance.
On the run I use whatever is on the course, and the last five miles I will grab some pretzels and coke if they have it, so on your long runs see if you can practice that. I also carry some s-caps and glucose tablets in case I need them in a ziplock waterproof bag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.