Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
what is WhatsApp?
The internet-chat app that completely took over phone-messaging the world over....except the USA.

What happened....is the rest of the world's telecoms continued to charge per-SMS. And when pure-data was relatively plentiful for the purpose, WhatsApp took off to completely replace SMS/MMS since it wasn't charged per message. Think basically iMessages, except not exclusive to any phone brand/make.

Versus

The USA....where carrier offered 'free' or 'unlimited' SMS messaging fairly soon into smartphones....result being....the USA is still hamstrung by unreliable and glitchy SMS/MMS/RCS and iMessages. And to this day, everyone in the USA is annoyed by it, from users to phone makers.

TBH....it would be best for the USA if we finally abandoned ancient SMS/MMS and the kludge ontop of it called RCS--in exchange for internet chat like Telegram or Signal apps (similar to WhatsApp).

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
guess I got nothing to worry about, I use plain old text messages.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
guess I got nothing to worry about, I use plain old text messages.
Well, you do. Last month for example...Google put out an update to Google Carrier Services that broke SMS for just about everyone. Because....SMS/RCS is a kludge that can break like that.

Not only is Telegram/WhatsApp/Signal etc fre of that nonsense.....you can internet message from any platform on any computer anywhere.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Well, you do. Last month for example...Google put out an update to Google Carrier Services that broke SMS for just about everyone. Because....SMS/RCS is a kludge that can break like that.

Not only is Telegram/WhatsApp/Signal etc fre of that nonsense.....you can internet message from any platform on any computer anywhere.
guess this dog needs to learn some old/new tricks

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Remember when you could log off the internet and not be reachable by phone, text, email, or short message?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The irony of the "sent from my..." tag is not lost on me.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
Remember when you could log off the internet and not be reachable by phone, text, email, or short message?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The irony of the "sent from my..." tag is not lost on me.
Oh yea, I was a Sprint subscriber until 14 months ago.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
wanna here something funny....I still have a land line. I could shut my modem off, smash my cell phone and still get calls about the warranty on my car expiring.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I've been using Whatsapp for quite a while because of international friends and family. I also liked that it was end-to-end encrypted and so used it if I needed to send payment info or private details. I'm a bit nervous about hearing that FB bought it since - they are so grabby with your data.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts