Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am half way done with the refurb on my Schwinn LeTour, sandblasted, primed, and half the paint is done, and couldn't be happier with the way things are looking. Now comes the build up. I originally just bought the frame no wheels and am now in the market for some. Should I go back with the original 27 inch or go to 700c? Seems like a bunch more options in the 700c variety. I am worried if I get the 27 inch wheelset, which is what I would like to do, about finding the right freewheel to get it to align with my crankset ( I understand it is very important to do this). This is my first single speed set up and yes money is an issue and I am fat so high spoke count is a priority. What say the collective knowledge of the forum.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=168708

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I would recommend 700c. Much wider selection and availability, and not really much change from your 27's. Crankset alignment will not be an issue due to using 700c's.
I would also go with 36-hole and 3X.
Good luck to you.
I am sure others will have some more sophisticated recommendations for you as well.
John

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't know much about 27 inch anything...Seems that you will have better compatibility now and down the road if you go with 700c's. I love as do most others the velocity deep v's. I"m a smaller rider but I bang the hell out of these rims on my non fixed commuter and they are scary true after 6 months of bad roads from the winter season. They are laced with double butted stainless steel to some old 32h campy mirage hubs. You could go 36 hole since you say you want a little extra strength and velocity hubs are on the cheap end too.

hope this helps...otherwise shop craigslist if you live near a metropolitan area and scoop some hipsters old wheels...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Agree with the recommendation. There's only one caution about switching wheel sizes. 700c wheels are smaller radius (by 4mm) and therefore require a bit longer brake reach. If you're buying parts from scratch you just need to make sure you get calipers with long enough reach.

Alignment (chainline) is not such a big issue as you think. It can be adjusted by re-spacing the axle and re-dishing the wheel, which is not as hard as you may think.

If you're big, get strong wheels.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
LeTours were designed with 27 inch wheels in mind. It wouldn't hurt to ask your LBC to let you mount a pair of 700c wheels so you could measure the throw of the brakes. Then you can determine if a suitable brakeset exists for your build.

On the other hand, somebody here surely did a project like this and would know.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I will probably go with the 700's , more variety and better deals to be had.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
agree that 700C is the way to go, did this conversion on a bike myself and the existing calipers had enough reach (4mm is a little more than 1/8"), and tire selection is waaay better in 700C. One thing to be aware of is that ss/fixed wheels built on ss/fixed hubs have no dish so they are much stronger than multispeed wheels, am fairly heavy myself and have had zero problems after 5 years and many miles on my self-built back wheel.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Tektro makes a nice caliper with reach up to 73mm (the R556) which can accomodate just about any 27"-700c conversion. If less reach is needed, the 57mm reach model (R536) will do. Both can be had for about $30-$35 each. They are recessed bolt, however, which may require drilling out a fork.

If it can be done, 700c is the way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.