Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Custom built wheels for sure at your size. Open Pro's have got pricey lately. My current favorite rims are made by DT Swiss, check them out.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
My LBS hasn't been able to get any of the DT rims in yet. Any idea who has 'em and how much they cost?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Custom cxp33's

I'm a little over 200, also a recreational rider, and I prefer cxp33's. I've got three sets (one set gets ridden off-road) and I've never had to true any of them. My open pros needed truing every couple months.

Curt

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
B2 said:
My LBS hasn't been able to get any of the DT rims in yet. Any idea who has 'em and how much they cost?

Thanks,
Bryan
Tell him Sinclair still had some (as of 2 weeks ago) and they should cost you about the same as the Open Pro's.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
There is a lot to choose from besides Mavic. The DT rims look to be good. Also good choices are: Velocity Fusion or WTB Speedmaster or Salsa Delgado Cross or Campy Montreal with 32H, 1x or 2x front- 1x or 2x non/3x drive rear, 14/15 DB spokes. My weight varies between approx. 195-202 lbs.

Except for the DT's, I've owned or extensively ridden wheels based on all of the rims above and the Mavic OP's, and they've all made a good showing. I've used the Speedmaster's since last July - they're holding up well for road duties as well as off-road (CX/commuting), and they feel pretty light under the pedals.

Good Ruck! :)

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Your LBS should be able to get Torelli Master Series rims, and they cost about $20 per rim less than the Open Pros and are just as good and they weigh the same. I think you should go with a 36 hole set up and use DT Competition spokes with brass nipples for added strength and have them laced 3 crossed due to your weight. This setup would make a very reliable wheel for you at a fairly decent price.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Keep it simple...

HENRY K said:
Wheels for a 200lb recreational/group/century rider. Bontrager or Custom Built Open Pros?
Once again, the RBR counselors go overboard with their advice.

Keep it simple. As a 200 lb. century rider, you need a strong, dependable wheel. Any good rim will do, just make sure it's good quality.

32 spokes per wheel will support your weight quite well. 36 will be stronger, but it really isn't necessary. The weight difference is negligible between the two spoke counts.

Go with 3x lacing front and back. You're a big boy and 3x lacing will maximaze the strength of the 32 spokes. This advice to go radial up front with 2x rear, etc. make me laugh. Why compromise the strength of the wheel (which equals the lifespan of the wheel) in order to save a few insignificant grams?

You will truly appreciate traditional spoke counts when you have a spoke break when you are out in the boonies.

And, I always advise long distance riders to avoid deep dish rims. You want a shallow rim that will allow for any valve length. That way, no matter how many flats you have on a long ride, anyone's inner tube will suffice to keep you moving forward.

One last word about "custom built wheel". Any LBS or internet provider can produce the wheel you need. It's not really "custom". More like "traditional".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts