Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of purchasing a new frame set. Ridley, Wilier, etc..., higher end is the point. Aluminum or carbon? Zipp, Reynolds, Fulcrum etc... Not real concerned with money although don't want to spend just to spend. Here are my specifics;

Rider Type: Recreational
Average Ride Distance: 130 miles (1 to 2 times per week)
Average Ride Climbing: 6,000 to 8,000 feet
Terrain: Mountians and flat
Wt: 190 lbs

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Choices

malodeia said:
In the process of purchasing a new frame set. Ridley, Wilier, etc..., higher end is the point. Aluminum or carbon? Zipp, Reynolds, Fulcrum etc... Not real concerned with money although don't want to spend just to spend. Here are my specifics;

Rider Type: Recreational
Average Ride Distance: 130 miles (1 to 2 times per week)
Average Ride Climbing: 6,000 to 8,000 feet
Terrain: Mountians and flat
Wt: 190 lbs
Are you saying that your average ride is 130 miles, or 130 miles per week? Oh well, that's just a question :)

You don't need anything more than a well built wheel with the hubs of your choice and something like a Velocity Aerohead, OpenPro, or DT rim. After that, you're just talking bling until you go to CF high profile tubular rims, and even then the "improvements" are only meaningful for racers. At your weight, durability is a concern. Boutique wheels are typically harder/more expensive to maintain, and parts availability is often a concern as model changes make the wheels obsolete in short order.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Money isn't a limiter... but I'm guessing that you want clinchers... in which case carbon rims are a mixed bag. There's not much weight savings... although it is nice to get a deeper rim for the aero boost. Braking on long mountain descents can burn up the pads... and braking in the wet isn't quite as good either. Still, plenty of guys love them and ride them every day. Best reason to get them would be looks and aerodynamics... if it is worth the $. Top US made rims are in the $800 ea range.

Or... if you go with aluminum rims, you could get a set of very nice wheels with great hubs (White Industries, Alchemy, DT, Tune, etc) that would be in the 1350-1500g range, for $600-$850. All easily replaceable parts if needed.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
ok well i am going to assume that you want a clincher...
go with a custom built... no question
your 190 lbs-same as me so i have some good insight...

hubs
if you want to build now tune mig 75 and mag 180
very light
extremely stiff
wide flanges
handmade in Germany

if you can wait about 3 weeks for the rear hub to hit the market
go with the alchemy elf and the orc
these 2 hubs are hand made by a custom wheel builder in AZ
they are super light
they are the stiffest hubs on the market
and they are the stongest
plus they come stock with some ultra large ceramic bearings
and they are about 600 retail for the pair

as a large rider these are the only hubs you should get

spokes
sapim cxray
the strongest spokes on the market
weight is 4.43 grams per spoke
this is lighter than most any spoke available
not including Ti

rims 20/24
reynolds Dv46
edge 1.38
both of these are extremely light
both are extremely strong
and both are reasonably priced

i put a customer on a pair of reynolds mv32s 20/24 which are the shallower version of the dv46
he did 10 cross races on them
and they did never went out of true

good luck
:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts