Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my wheels on my Trek Madone 5.2 from the stock Bontranger Racelites. I am having a hard time choosing between a set of these custom wheels from Likin Bikin for $695 -Kinlin XR-300 / DT Swiss 240s / Aerolite - Durable and AerodynamicFront Hub: DT Swiss 240s / 20 Hole (24 & 28 also available)
Rear Hub: DT Swiss 240s (Shimano or Campagnolo) / 24 Hole (28 also
available)Rims: 700c Kinlin NIOBIUM XR-300 / 30mm AeroSpokes: DT Swiss Aerolite
Nipples: Black Alloy Weight: F 665g / R 795g

The other option I am looking at is a new Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium at the LBS for $800. I ride with several riders who like their Sl's and said I can't go wrong with them at this price.

I chose the Kinlin based on what I have read on RBR as a great set for the price with the 300 being a little heavier but stronger then the 270 rim.. At my weight of 175 and living in Maine where its farily hilly what be the better wheelset for me? Has anyone done business with Likin Bikin and can attest to their wheels? Thanks Steve

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
There are people who post on this forum who do custom builds, so that is an option too... could get a set with White Industries or Alchemy hubs that would be in the same price range that you are looking at (both made in the USA).

A couple of reasons not to choose K-SLs is the poor aerodynamics (fat aluminum spokes, squared off rim, and chunky hub), and the hassle and expense of replacing a spoke or rim or nipple if you ever need to.

It is hard to say if the 30mm rims are really more durable or even stiffer than the 27s. The 27s are a little wider which is nice. The 30s are likely a little more aero. The weight difference on average is only 15-20g per rim. 20f and 24r is in the ballpark for someone your size... could go to 28r for better stiffness and durability.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just ordered a set of Kinlin XR-30/DT Swiss 240/Sapim CX-Ray and I went with the 24 front and 28 rear, but I am 15lbs heavier than you so that is the main reason I went 24/28.

If I was you I would go with the XR-27 and do a 20 front 28 rear for power and durability in the rear. Plus you could do an ELF hub in front and a DT 240 rear and save another 40 or 50 grams, they would probably only weigh 1400 tops. Before you know it you will be flying up those hills!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts