Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I weigh more than most of the racers (~280#, although I really don't look it =D), and I'm building up a road bike. I've got almost everything already, except for the wheels. I work at a campus bike shop and can get deals on a very limited selection of wheels. The main one I was looking at was 700C Mavic CXP-22 w/ Shimano 105 hubs, 32 spoke variety. Are these going to stand up to my mass? What size tire would you recommend? They also have Mavic Open Pro's for a little more, as well as Sun M13, CR-18 and Weinmann AS23X. I'll mainly be riding around for fitness and commuting, so I doubt I'll be racing any time soon.

Also, what's the difference between a 700C and a 700x25 or 700x35?? Sorry for the newbie question, most of the other stuff I have figured. =D

Thanks!
Dan

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
You will need 36 spokes, built cross 3, 14 guage. Maybe someone can give better rim suggestions, but Mavics are all good quality.

All road bikes wheels (for the sake of this discussion) are 700C. The next number describes the millimeters of tire width. With your big bones, try to fit 28s or at least 25s onto the bike. Clearance under the brakes and between the chainstays becomes an issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Spunout said:
You will need 36 spokes, built cross 3, 14 guage.
I don't pretend to be a wheel builder or even someone who knows much about wheel building but I've read and heard that straight gauge spokes aren't stronger in any way that will affect the spoke life - and that a butted spoke may in fact give you longer life than a straight gauge spoke.

I think the idea was that spokes pretty much never fail on the slim section of a butted spoke and the marginal increase in elasticity (not sure if this is the right term but I think it suggests the idea) of a butted spoke will actually allow the slimmer section of the spoke to take up some of the forces that occur during normal riding - which tend to lead to spoke breakage (generally near the bend). I've read that a triple butted spoke where the bent portion of the spoke is that largest is a good thing for heavy riders because it reinforces the spoke where it tends to break and provides the benefits of a butted spoke.

Again, I may be misunderstanding some common thoughts on spoke selection. Please correct me if so.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've built at least four or five sets of wheels for riders in your mass range. For what you list I'd recommend the CXP-22 or the Mavic Open Pros but in 36 spoke flavor with 14/15 gauge spokes. I've had good luck with the open pros, but even better luck with Mavic CXP-33's in this configuration.

physics_nut said:
Ok, so I weigh more than most of the racers (~280#, although I really don't look it =D), and I'm building up a road bike. I've got almost everything already, except for the wheels. I work at a campus bike shop and can get deals on a very limited selection of wheels. The main one I was looking at was 700C Mavic CXP-22 w/ Shimano 105 hubs, 32 spoke variety. Are these going to stand up to my mass? What size tire would you recommend? They also have Mavic Open Pro's for a little more, as well as Sun M13, CR-18 and Weinmann AS23X. I'll mainly be riding around for fitness and commuting, so I doubt I'll be racing any time soon.

Also, what's the difference between a 700C and a 700x25 or 700x35?? Sorry for the newbie question, most of the other stuff I have figured. =D

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can get the CXP-22 w/ 105 hubs brand new for $110, I think that's a fairly good deal. But the 32 spoke, 14ga SS won't last huh? Any suggestions on where to buy them? Seeing as this is my first road bike, I don't really want to be buying a $300 set of rims, especially since everything else so far hasn't even totalled $300 yet. :D

Thanks for all your help! :D
Dan

·
Registered
550 Posts
14 ga SS may very well last... I think the 14/15's are better in the long run, but in reality either one should work out well in good quality build.

The 32 spoke is also debatable. For your weight I was suggesting a build that's pretty much guaranteed to live a long and true life. However, if the roads you ride are good, and you don't go bunny hopping curbs, and you watch where you're riding then you probably can get away with the 32 spoke set up.

The biggest thing is making sure you're getting them from a really qualified builder.

physics_nut said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can get the CXP-22 w/ 105 hubs brand new for $110, I think that's a fairly good deal. But the 32 spoke, 14ga SS won't last huh? Any suggestions on where to buy them? Seeing as this is my first road bike, I don't really want to be buying a $300 set of rims, especially since everything else so far hasn't even totalled $300 yet. :D

Thanks for all your help! :D
Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I guess it's 36 spoke then! :p

Perhaps I can pick your brain one final time. I think I'll go with nice cheapo rims until I lose a little weigh, and then I'll go for a better set. Besides, if I weight enough that I need a 36spoke rim vs. a 32 spoke rim, I probably won't notice much of a drag difference huh? :p

So the place that our campus bike shop orders through has either Sun M-13 in 700x20 36spoke or Weinmann AS23X in 700x25 36spoke. I didn't see any review on here for those wheels, but then they are pretty cheap. Any recommendations? What's the difference in the size between 20 and 25? Any limitions on tire size or anything else, like will one need cantilever brakes or something??

Thanks!!
Dan :D

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Velocity DeepV

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Velocity DeepV rims. You can build a hell-for-stout wheel with these due to the extra strength and stiffness of the deep section. In a 36 hole with 14/15 spokes you'd have a great wheel. 32 might even do the job.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I've got to ask...

why does somebody who works at a bike shop have to ask on-line what 700x25 means? Am I missing something?

Sorry,
TF

·
Registered
550 Posts
The difference between the 700x20 and the 700x25 all depends on what size tires you want to ride. Either one will take a 700x25 tire, going wider than that you probably want the 700x25 rim, should take you all the way up to a 32mm or 38mm wide tire.

If you want to ride a 23mm wide tire I'd go with the 700x20. the 700x25 would probably take it but it's not an ideal fit. I wouldn't try anything narrower than 23 on the 700x25 rim even somebody held a gun to my head.

As far as brakes go... most side pull double pivot breaks will let anything up to a 25mm wide tire slide thru (you might have to deflate the 25s just a tad). Anything larger than a 25mm tire definately will require a deflation to remove.

Bottom line: If you're only going to ride tires 25mm or wider go with the 700x25 rim. If you want to try narrower tires either now, or in the future, go with the 700x20 rim.

physics_nut said:

Perhaps I can pick your brain one final time. I think I'll go with nice cheapo rims until I lose a little weigh, and then I'll go for a better set. Besides, if I weight enough that I need a 36spoke rim vs. a 32 spoke rim, I probably won't notice much of a drag difference huh? :p

So the place that our campus bike shop orders through has either Sun M-13 in 700x20 36spoke or Weinmann AS23X in 700x25 36spoke. I didn't see any review on here for those wheels, but then they are pretty cheap. Any recommendations? What's the difference in the size between 20 and 25? Any limitions on tire size or anything else, like will one need cantilever brakes or something??

Thanks!!
Dan :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Good points. I had two hang ups about mentioning them; 1) the op didn't list it as one of the options (i thought I was pressing the issue suggesting CXP-33s) and 2) I've had one bad experience with a Deep V, not a huge issue - but just big enough that I haven't fallen in love with them as much as I'd like to, so to speak

Kerry Irons said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Velocity DeepV rims. You can build a hell-for-stout wheel with these due to the extra strength and stiffness of the deep section. In a 36 hole with 14/15 spokes you'd have a great wheel. 32 might even do the job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why does somebody who works at a bike shop have to ask on-line what 700x25 means? Am I missing something?
Fair question. I'm just starting into repair work at a small liberal arts college's repair facility. We don't charge labor, and sell everything for cost+ S&H. I can tune the bikes fairly well, but we really don't deal with high end road bikes, and the few road bikes that do come through typically have 27x 1 1/8 or 27x1 1/4. I had a hunch that the 700x25 was measurements in millimeters, but I wasn't sure. Also, I wasn't sure about the practical applications, like what brakes can clear. No one at the shop seems to know, so I travel elsewhere for the answer. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can get the Mavic CXP-22 in 36 spokes for about $89 at bike Nashbar. I bought a set last fall for my trail bike and they are pretty solid.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
You'll need the best rims you can afford now...

physics_nut said:

...I think I'll go with nice cheapo rims until I lose a little weight, and then I'll go for a better set...
Going cheap will give you a cheap set of wheels in the long run.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Good luck...

Sounds like your keeping people on their bikes which is always a good thing.

TF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts