Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a wheel bag. I take my front off every time I haul my bike in my pickup. This summer we go on vacation and I plan on taking my bike and will be removing both front & rear. So for sure would like a single bag but might need a double this summer. So considering just getting a double.

Any suggestions on a good wheel bag ? Double or Single ?

Thanks

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Bummer, my bike fits in my pickup, standing up as normal, without having to remove any wheels. The floor in the back seat area is totally flat. Very convenient. Then again, I'm sure you can tow more than I can.

As for wheel bags, Nashbar's are quite affordable.

Nashbar - Welcome!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just bought a couple of wheelbags recently (1 being that Nashbar single). It is ok for what it is (got it when they were 23% off actually).

At the same time I also ordered a double Vuelta (also from Nashbar): Nashbar Vuelta

Between the 2 the Vuelta is much nicer with more padding and a shoulder carrying strap too. My biggest grip about this bag was the poor zipper quality as one popped off when I didn't seat my the 2nd wheel fully down. Tried to use a set of pliers to "bend" the zipper to put it back together but it was so brittle it snapped with virtually no effort (we are talking the same amount of force to open up a paperclip I applied at first). Luckily they are double zippers for both compartments so it is still functional. My fault but still annoying that the first use of my brand new bag the zipper broke.

Note that the Vuelta bag has an oversized shipping surcharge (it came in a wheelbox). The Nashbar branded bag shipped in a much smaller box (folded up all origami like). When I pulled the trigger was a sale where there were no oversized shipping charges on the all items.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also bought one of those Vuelta wheel bags, and both zippers failed on the first trip. We had to sew the bag shut before turning it over to the airline to come home. I do want another wheel bag to fly with my wheels, but it will not be another one of those. I sent mine back to Nashbar for a full refund.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would like to get a wheel bag. I take my front off every time I haul my bike in my pickup.
I just bought a truck so I don't have to take any wheels off. 6.5' bed crew cab - all my bikes fit with wheels on (mtb, cx, road). Have a diamondback cover on the way. Secure storage and wheels on. So happy about no more taking wheels off multiple times each day.

As far as wheel bags, I have a pair of pre-trek bontrager bags. They are more than 20 years old. If you buy nice ones they will last for years.

If you just need something for one trip, I think a couple heavy duty contractor trash bags maybe with some cardboard liners would do perfectly well. Or go to the LBS and ask for a bike box. You could cut one down to fit a pair of wheels without much work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts