Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a car you get your wheels balanced. Do we need to do the same for bike wheels. I had my bike in the repair stand the other day and was turning the cranks checking the gears and noticed that the bike was starting to jump around. The problem, my computer magnet on the rear wheel was throwing off the balance. I know putting the magnet as close to the hub as possible would be the best option, but my sensor wont reach that far. Thus in order to calm things down i put an extra magnet opposite of the other one, but out of the way of the sensor (hehe though it would be kinda cool to be cruising along at "40 mph" with no effort), effectively balancing the wheel.

So was this necessary? Does anybody else balance their wheels when they install a computer magnet? I never felt the shuddering when i was riding, but i spose it is just a little less stress the wheel has to take now that it is balanced???:idea:

bilydu

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Don't worry about it

bilydu said:
If you have a car you get your wheels balanced. Do we need to do the same for bike wheels. I had my bike in the repair stand the other day and was turning the cranks checking the gears and noticed that the bike was starting to jump around. The problem, my computer magnet on the rear wheel was throwing off the balance. I know putting the magnet as close to the hub as possible would be the best option, but my sensor wont reach that far. Thus in order to calm things down i put an extra magnet opposite of the other one, but out of the way of the sensor (hehe though it would be kinda cool to be cruising along at "40 mph" with no effort), effectively balancing the wheel.

So was this necessary? Does anybody else balance their wheels when they install a computer magnet? I never felt the shuddering when i was riding, but i spose it is just a little less stress the wheel has to take now that it is balanced???:idea:

bilydu
Wheel balancing on bicycles is not necessary (assuming that the wheels aren't grossly out of balance). Wheel balancing is necessary on cars because: 1) automobiless go much faster than bikes; and 2) automobiles have much softer suspensions than bikes. A combination of high speeds and soft suspension can allow an unbalanced wheel to hop up and down at high speed. But a road bike has no wheel suspension, and goes at much slower speeds, so unbalanced wheels can't hop. Besides which, the amount of unbalance on a typical wheel is much smaller than on automobile wheels - a few grams at most. Auto wheel balancing weights are only made in about 5 - 10 gram increments, so a 5 gram computer magnet introduces no more wheel imbalance than an automobile wheel has after balancing weights have been added.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Just for fun: Take the magnet off and let the wheel stabilize with the heaviest part at the bottom (probably the weld) and then put the magnet opposite that point. - TF

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'd check to see that my tires were round, or mounted incorrectly. Might be the rims, too. You can do this by placing the bike in a stand. Then rotate the wheel, while holding a screwdriver or other straight object so that it just barely skims the surfave of the tire. If it's erratic, you'll be able to see it immediately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.