Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a ticking sound coming from my front wheel today. When I investigated I found a bulge on the tread. It appears the tread has separated from the casing, leaving a bubble. There's no visible cuts or damage to the tire, and it does not appear to be the tube coming through (the bubble does not appear to be pressurized). The tires are less than a year old, they are Specialized Mondo Pros.

Anyone know if this is likely a defect in the tire, or is it likely I caused it somehow?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Tire damage

russotto said:
I noticed a ticking sound coming from my front wheel today. When I investigated I found a bulge on the tread. It appears the tread has separated from the casing, leaving a bubble. There's no visible cuts or damage to the tire, and it does not appear to be the tube coming through (the bubble does not appear to be pressurized). The tires are less than a year old, they are Specialized Mondo Pros.

Anyone know if this is likely a defect in the tire, or is it likely I caused it somehow?
You don't say how many miles are on the tires, but the most likely cause is that you hit a rock (or something) and damaged the casing. Some of the casing threads broke, causing the bulge. That bulge will wear faster than the rest of the tire, but on the front it may not wear that fast. Keep an eye on it and consider at least installing a boot, or possibly replacing the tire if the bulge grows at all.

· Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought the tire in to the bike shop today and as soon as I showed it to them they said it was defective and replaced it for free :) . The tire only had a few hundred miles on it, and the bubble, originally the size of my thumb, doubled in size overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.