Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a wheel is built preferably a rear wheel with 24 spokes(triple butted bladed) 50mm. and laced 2x on both drive side and non-drive side will that be a stronger build than if it were built with just radial (non-drive) and 2x drive side?

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
If a wheel is built preferably a rear wheel with 24 spokes(triple butted bladed) 50mm. and laced 2x on both drive side and non-drive side will that be a stronger build than if it were built with just radial (non-drive) and 2x drive side?
Hard to define "stronger" from your comments but generally a crossed spoke pattern will be better at transmitting torque forces. Whether this is significant is an open question. That said, radial spoking in bicycle wheels is largely for cosmetic purposes (also makes cleaning the wheel easier).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Guess I'm too old school for 24 spokes. I must've built up at least 12 sets of wheels, probably more, all with the old 3-cross pattern, non less than 32 spokes.

My wheelset might not be the most uber-light, but I'm a lot more confident bombing down a twisty mountain road at 30+ MPH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.