Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just spoke to the guys at Winterbourne and they say they can do other stuff but he sounded like all he does is Mavic Open pro on Shimano hubs. He didn't know much about other options.

The guy at Marinoni uses Ambrosia rims....which I've never heard of.

They are both quoting me $750Cdn which is 50% higher than Mike Garcia (given that the currency exchange rate is about 15% now, that's quite a bit more).
I'm not sure about the rims and weights. It sounds like Mike is a much better deal, my concern is that sometimes getting stuff across the border is very expensive.

What do people think?

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I rarely buy big items in Canada

There seems to be an unreasonable surcharge on most items sold by Canadian (even on-line) retailers. IMHO, the only Canadian retailer than has reasonable prices is MEC. Products from American retailers are even more attractively priced now that the American dollar has dropped in value so significantly. If you can get stuff shipped through the USPS, there should not be any brokerage charges. However, assembled wheels areone of the few bicycle-related items that are subject to duty.

fredf said:
I just spoke to the guys at Winterbourne and they say they can do other stuff but he sounded like all he does is Mavic Open pro on Shimano hubs. He didn't know much about other options.

The guy at Marinoni uses Ambrosia rims....which I've never heard of.

They are both quoting me $750Cdn which is 50% higher than Mike Garcia (given that the currency exchange rate is about 15% now, that's quite a bit more).
I'm not sure about the rims and weights. It sounds like Mike is a much better deal, my concern is that sometimes getting stuff across the border is very expensive.

What do people think?
________
18TEEN

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toomanybikes: do you work for Marinoni?
I searched the forum and no mention of Ambrosia.I googled it and no bike builders I can see mention them.
Neither Troy nor Mike use them.

So, how can the be 'possibly the best rims'?

· Registered
838 Posts
fredf said:
I searched the forum and no mention of Ambrosia.I googled it and no bike builders I can see mention them.

I do use Ambrosio rims, I am especially fond of the Excellite. The Excellite is a 425 gram double eyeletted rim that has a pinned, sleeved and welded joint (yes, all 3), they have a nice wide brake surface and build up into light but stiff wheels.

G

·
fredf said:

http://ambrosiospa.com/

I am really curious as to what your definition of a "good wheelset" will turn out to be.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
Ligero said:
I do use Ambrosio rims, I am especially fond of the Excellite. The Excellite is a 425 gram double eyeletted rim that has a pinned, sleeved and welded joint (yes, all 3), they have a nice wide brake surface and build up into light but stiff wheels.
Yeah, but do you build with Reynolds rims, yet?

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
fredf said:

Search the forum and google again, only this time type in "Ambrosio" not Ambrosia. Just like 'Toomanybikes" said, Ambrosio has a rich pedigree in european pro cycling and have an excellent reputation.

I like mine. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.