Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal that the rear wheel on my Trek 5500 sits much closer to the left chainstay than the right one. The wheel is straight, but I didn’t know if it should be that way or not. I’m currently riding Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was thinking of going to the regular HED rims, not the plus size. I was just concerned that there might be a clearance issue in back.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I’m currently riding Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was thinking of going to the regular HED rims, not the plus size. I was just concerned that there might be a clearance issue in back.
WTF. Your first post about riding Bonty wheels and thinking of replacing them goes back to 2009.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Flip the wheel around (so cassette is on non-drive side) and see if clearance issue switches sides or not. For most modern CF frames, unequal clearance issues are usually a result of an incorrectly dished wheel, wheel not seated fully in the dropouts, or damaged dropouts.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Flip the wheel around (so cassette is on non-drive side) and see if clearance issue switches sides or not. For most modern CF frames, unequal clearance issues are usually a result of an incorrectly dished wheel, wheel not seated fully in the dropouts, or damaged dropouts.
This. Can also check at the seat stays (at the brakes) to see if the rim is centered. If it is off center at both chain stays and seat stays, that points to improper wheel dish.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
I've seen people inadvertently re-dish their wheel by poor spoke tightening; the feel that the spokes are too 'slack', then turn an equal number of turns on ALL spokes. Or they just are clueless about wheel truing in general...

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
to check dish, i use two stacks of cd jewel cases, a table, and a metric ruler.

sheldon talks about it on his wheelbuilding page.

you might also want to check frame alignment with a long string/thread and a ruler.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,451 Posts
WTF. Your first post about riding Bonty wheels and thinking of replacing them goes back to 2009.
Procrastinators Club member? :) Seriously Stew, it sounds like the wheel is not dished correctly. To find out for sure, do you have another bike or a friend who would let you try that wheel on their bike to determine whether it's a wheel dish issue or a bike frame alignment issue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.