Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Specialized Allez Comp that I commute on. Just recently it started squeaking only when I stand and pedal. I can push as hard as I want sitting down and it wont make a single sound. I have taken it to my LBS and they went through the entire bike and ruled out the normal issues... BB, crank bolts, headset, stem, etc...
So i am wondering if it could be the wheels? I have heard that some wheels can creak and if so is there a way to fix it? The mechanic told me to bring in the wheels so he could check them out but I won't be ablee to until next week. So I figured I would ask the board.
BTW- the wheels are Ksyrium Equipes. And I bought the bike early in the year (I heard that they swapped out the wheels later that year).

Thanks in advance!

· Eddy 53:11
3,187 Posts
I have a similiar problem with my Mavic "K" SL's. If you are SURE it's the wheels themselves, put a "dab" of lube on each of the spoke nipples that may solve your problem.

If not, check to see if the noise is coming from the front or rear drop-outs. A bit of lube like thick bering grease applied to the drop-out MAY solve your problem.

I have a bad "creak" noise coming from my fork when get out of the saddle and climb. It took me quite a while to figure out exaclty where the noise was coming from.

Hope this helps . . . . ????

· Registered
62 Posts
Bike Noises are deceiving.....

I've had creaks and sqeaks before where you will bet your years salary they were coming from a particular spot only to find they were coming from somewhere else.

Just recently I had developed a creaking in 2004 Salsa Campeon. This is one of those cases where I would have bet the cat's life (at least one of them anyway) it was coming from the BB. It only did it under certain circumstances and I had even convinced myself I could actually feel it in the cranks. After a month of torquing and re-torquing the BB, crank bolts and petals I discovered a corollary between the creaking and pulling pressure on the bars. Lo and behold, the creaking was coming from the interface of the CF face plate on the FSA stem. A very light smear of grease on the bars ( almost imperceptable) and no more noise.

If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you can track these noises down on your own, just be patient and systematic.

· MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
992 Posts
Deceptive to say the least

Try putting a bit of grease on your pedal threads. that worked to kill my mystery creak, and like yours it was only when I was out of the saddle. I know it sounds crazy, but it could also be your saddle, (as when you are sitting the your weight prevents the movement?). I truly empathize with you. Ticks, pops, creaks, sqeaks--they all drive me nuts until I figure them out, and it's usually never what I thought it was, but if you ride enough and pay enough attention hear them and troubleshoot enough, you get to know the usual suspects on your particular machine. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.