Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one tell if a spoke is loose? I get a creaking noise during hard efforts like standing on hills or sprinting. Basically when I introduce lateral movement to the front wheel. Also, if I'm just coasting, I hear a very slight, consistant ticking.

To troubleshoot, I swapped out the front wheel to a spare. Silence during the whole time I was trying to reproduce the problem. I'm almost convinced its the front wheel. Anyway, since I don't know any better, I just visually examined the suspect wheel for rim cracks...none that I can see. As for the spokes, they all 'feel' tight as I do not know how to properly tighten or torque the spokes (I didn't even try to wrench it). I also looked at the skewer and hubs...doesn't looked messed up and the wheel seems to spin tru. Also, no ticking noise when I spin the wheel by hand...assuming because there is no load. I know that's hardly scientific, but don't know what else I can do. I do not recall hitting anything. This is a Shamal Ultra wheel (2010).

Just thought I'd get some tips before taking the wheel in to an LBS for a proper inspection.

Thanks.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Spoke crossing

A4B45200 said:
How does one tell if a spoke is loose? I get a creaking noise during hard efforts like standing on hills or sprinting. Basically when I introduce lateral movement to the front wheel. Also, if I'm just coasting, I hear a very slight, consistant ticking.

To troubleshoot, I swapped out the front wheel to a spare. Silence during the whole time I was trying to reproduce the problem. I'm almost convinced its the front wheel. Anyway, since I don't know any better, I just visually examined the suspect wheel for rim cracks...none that I can see. As for the spokes, they all 'feel' tight as I do not know how to properly tighten or torque the spokes (I didn't even try to wrench it). I also looked at the skewer and hubs...doesn't looked messed up and the wheel seems to spin tru. Also, no ticking noise when I spin the wheel by hand...assuming because there is no load. I know that's hardly scientific, but don't know what else I can do. I do not recall hitting anything. This is a Shamal Ultra wheel (2010).
It sounds most like an issue where the spokes cross. Try a drop of lube at each spoke crossing. You might also do this at the spoke nipples, both at the rim and where the spoke enters the nipple. Of course, we can assume that it's nothing like a computer sensor magnet, or even the computer pickup (some have reed switches that are audible). If the spokes fee uniform in tension, then a loose spoke is not the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.