Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CX bike I use for trails and towing The Kid around town. I currently have canti brakes and noticed over the past two years, as The Kid gets bigger, the braking leaves much to be desired. I can still brake, but there were a few times on vacation last year that descending raised my heartbeat a bit.

I have been looking at getting BB7 Road calipers and some 29er wheels (deore/a317). Is this worth the $250 upgrade?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is your frame/fork already disc compatible? If so, that simplifies things a bit.

What canti's are you running now? You might try a different brake (wide profile) like a Tektro CR720 and some different pads. If you take the time to set up cantis well, they'll stop pretty much anything.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frame and fork are disc compatible.

i have some shortys on right now. i thought about the cr720, but wasnt sure they would give the same grab as discs.

and i would never race this thing, so that (soon to be removed?) rule doesnt apply to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quick comments

One thing you might need to be carful about is how your kid trailer attaches to the bike. a lot of trailer hitches are not compatible with disk brakes.

That said disk brakes can be a good investment and will provide plenty of stopping power but a cheaper way to go would be to switch to a V-style brake. V brakes will give you the same stopping power with about the same lever feel as a disk brake in just about any condition other than in the really wet. (I.e. one/two finger braking that will lock the wheels).

For V brakes I would recommend the Avid SD-7 or SL or what I now run; the Cane Creek Direct Curve brakes.

Another route to go would be the Paul Components Neo-Retro brakes. I have not tried them but have heard very good things.

http://www.sram.com/en/avid/rimbrakes/index.php
http://www.canecreek.com/direct-curve-3-brakes.html
http://paulcomp.com/

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I have not found V-brakes to be much of an improvement with road levers - with or without Travel Agents. You will find that just a front disc will be a huge improvement. - TF

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had shorty's and the front sucked, the rear was so so. I listed that bike 2-3 times on craigs list because I couldn't get the brakes to inspire confidence (I tried all kinds of adj and straddles) and I was looking at getting a cross with disk. Since it didn't sell I tried a cheap set of cr-720 and I am loving it. It probably isn't as great as disks specially in the wet and depending on the load but it was 18.48 a pair at tree fort with shipping.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/107_333222344377__CR720-Cantilever-Brake-Front-or-Rear.html

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Avids are more common, but I use Shimano BR 505R. They work great for the traffic dodging I have to do and nice in the slop. Besides, they're easier on the rims. My rims look relatively pristine compared to other brakes. If you have the dough... why not.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Disk brakes are very nice. Could you just put disk compatible wheel on the front with disk?
I have shorties as well and they don't really inspire confidence in braking

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i thought about running a mullet, but the rear brake really has no stopping power. plus, when you get down to it, i can get that wheelset pretty cheap, and the calipers run <$60 per.

current wheels have three really hard years on them and are starting to lose tension to keep the wheel true.

i have a chariot cart, so discs should be no problem.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
I have Paul touring brakes on my cross bike. They're better than most other cantis I've tried but not as good as discs (which I have on my mtb). Switching just the front to disc seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yes, it is worth it in my experience. I have BB7's on my Lemond and pull 2 kids in our Chariot. Bike stops fine. The peace of mind is priceless.

singlecross

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.