Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Classified promises an efficiency of 99 percent. This seems quite realistic, since there are no bearings or seals in the gearbox that could cause additional friction.
You're just making up strawmen to argue against. Nobody said no friction. It said REDUCED friction from not having INTERNAL BEARINGS AND SEALS.
That is reduced friction from the type of gearbox you're pretending this is.
it's a planetary gear. no bearings for more efficiency? you like bushings? think whatever you want but in my world planetary gearboxes arent as efficient as chain drive with derailleurs by a long stretch and I added links showing this. If you add a planetary gearbox to a 1x chain drive with derailleurs you get all those losses.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What is your rpm shift points?
... and your 2 speed hub will have overlapping gears! Hello!
Yes, your right the two internal gears would result in overlapping gears now that I think of it. Still, I think the benefits of the internal rear gear handling shifting under load, changing gears in microseconds, and removing the front derailleur are all interesting options that point to an improved strategy. Probably would like to see three internal gears instead where and a corn cob straight cassette 11-21 and like a 56 tooth front single chainring. This would get a little higher gearing for downhills and then I could use the rear internal selector to drop down for climbs.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
What is your problem with the FD? Seems to have worked for years. If I was getting a new bike, I might go for it.
...not that I have an issue with a 2spd hub.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,595 Posts
What is your problem with the FD?
Exactly. Modern mechanical drivetrains have all but made chain drops a thing of the past. If you drop your chain, it is most likely user error.

But hey, there is money to be made on solutions to problems that don't exist.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Amazing that this started out as a wheel dish question. Soon, it will move on to chain lube.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,595 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,595 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Actually no problem with a Front Derailleur. I've never even had one drop on me before. The main concern is the chain issue with the chainrings upfront taking up capacity and all that, not to mention chain line issues. Currently, my setup is now running 11-27 in the rear and a standard 53/39 upfront. Shifts great, to be honest. However, I do like that new innovation and if I were to build a new bike which I'm not it would be a disk bike with a mechanical drivetrain. I probably would def try that new setup. Hopefully, the price will drop, and maybe they would add a 3rd internal gear that would be the motivating factor for me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It could be a miracle!
I will call on Jesus when working on the bike.

Any experience with this 3x internal fixed hub Review: Sturmey Archer S3X: Three Speed Fixed Gear
Or any other similar?

I assume it’s pretty crappy for the price and has a lot of drag but wonder and a simple spur gear can be very efficient. This isn’t a simple spur but being fixed maybe at least more efficient w no freewheel ratchet at least. I’d give up all the gears beyond three if it ever showed as efficient as a chain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay well maybe. I just remember my dad’s English 3 speed with internal gears and it was quite a pleasure to drive across town. I don’t remember any noticeable friction though I’m i guss it was there

·
Registered
635 Posts
think this is the pinnacle of the internal hub these days.
Kindernay XIV - Kindernay
i havent seen a comparison of efficiency and no evidence posted and just their claim of as good as 1X:
"07 Efficiency
arow

In general: a single speed setup usually has an efficiency of around 97%, while a typical derailleur system will be at around 96% efficiency, since the chain has to go through the pulleys of the derailleur cage. Note that clutched (1X) derailleurs have slightly lower efficiency due to the higher spring rate required. Internal gear hubs will range from low 80% up to approx. 95% for the most efficient internal gear hubs. We will have official efficiency data for the Kindernay XIV when our own in-house dyno is ready; we are working on designing and building our own dyno for efficiency testing. However, from a theoretical point of view, due to the internal layout and (low) number of interfering cogs, etc. it should be as efficient or more efficient than any other IGH on the market. Feedback from Kindernay customers who own several types of IGHs confirm that."

with fewer speeds loads can be dispersed across longer teeth. maybe if only 3 speeds could even do a composite version that would last.

i think for sure the future of gears. for sure can be lighter and more durable and reliable. if only can just get as efficient and its pretty close as is. add in the aero advantage and maybe there already.

like to see an exploded view

i think the most efficient is the double helical gear. machining is getting easier and cheaper and had been expensive to make.. Double Helical Gear - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

3D printed compound planetary gearbox - 1:50, double helical, OpenSCAD - Bing video

HP52.r9.indd (ihpva.org)

61 - 73 of 73 Posts