Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How uncool is this??

I have Neuvation wheels in silver finish as my primary wheelset. I have a set of OP's on my second bike which can always be put onto the primary bike if needed. The OP"s are blue rims. I have one left over front wheel with a black rim. A buddy of mine has offered to sell me his 2 year old Campy Vento rear wheel very cheap (<$50) so I can use it as a spare. Problem is: the Vento has silver finish unlike my left over front wheel which is a black finish. How dorky would it look if I had to ride with a black front wheel and a silver rear wheel?? Or a Neuvation silver front wheel (all stickers still on the rim) and a Vento rear wheel??

It's just at that price, it's hard to pass up a deal to have a another spare wheelset even if they are mismatched.

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
I believe you can strip off the anondization with easy off oven cleaner. If the time and effort is worth it is another question, but it seems simple enough. I know in the mtb forums they talk about this all the time.

PaulCL said:
How uncool is this??

I have Neuvation wheels in silver finish as my primary wheelset. I have a set of OP's on my second bike which can always be put onto the primary bike if needed. The OP"s are blue rims. I have one left over front wheel with a black rim. A buddy of mine has offered to sell me his 2 year old Campy Vento rear wheel very cheap (<$50) so I can use it as a spare. Problem is: the Vento has silver finish unlike my left over front wheel which is a black finish. How dorky would it look if I had to ride with a black front wheel and a silver rear wheel?? Or a Neuvation silver front wheel (all stickers still on the rim) and a Vento rear wheel??

It's just at that price, it's hard to pass up a deal to have a another spare wheelset even if they are mismatched.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean...

beeristasty said:
I believe you can strip off the anondization with easy off oven cleaner. If the time and effort is worth it is another question, but it seems simple enough. I know in the mtb forums they talk about this all the time.
...changing my black rim to silver?? I like that idea.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
I don't think that any of my wheels are "matched". Since front wheels almost last forever, and I usually have to replace the rims of my back wheels when I crash, things look a little "mixed-up".
When I have the same hubs, front and back, the rims are different. When the rims are the same, the hubs are different. I've been known to ride a Dura Ace hub in back with a Chorus front hub........Shame on me.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
I'd proceed with caution...

Oven cleaner will remove anodization but it can also cause significant pitting in the aluminum. On a thick seatpost or brake arms I might (and have done) do it but on a rim/wheel Im not so sure that I'd risk it. Also, I can't imagine that the nipples,eyelets would fair well in the process. I'm no metalurgist so maybe one of the "experts" will be able to chime in.

BTW, ever ride in Lexington?

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Dude you are...

MR_GRUMPY said:
I don't think that any of my wheels are "matched". Since front wheels almost last forever, and I usually have to replace the rims of my back wheels when I crash, things look a little "mixed-up".
When I have the same hubs, front and back, the rims are different. When the rims are the same, the hubs are different. I've been known to ride a Dura Ace hub in back with a Chorus front hub........Shame on me.
hardcore, seriously! That is so anti OCP! :D

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
PaulCL said:
How uncool is this??
hmmm...about as uncool as:
mix matched hubs
mix matched tires
mix matched spoke paterns
mix matched components

really, it's all attitude. act like you own the difference. how could your needs possibly be met by matched wheels? after all, the back and front wheel serve different purposes, have different stresses, etc...

man, i gotta go mix up my wheels now. i've convinced myself :)

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not doing it

Ramjm_2000 said:
Oven cleaner will remove anodization but it can also cause significant pitting in the aluminum. On a thick seatpost or brake arms I might (and have done) do it but on a rim/wheel Im not so sure that I'd risk it. Also, I can't imagine that the nipples,eyelets would fair well in the process. I'm no metalurgist so maybe one of the "experts" will be able to chime in.

I read the MTB review threads on oven cleaners, etc... It isn't worth the effort for a secondary set of wheels. Heck, once I'm on the bike, I can't see the mismatch anyway.

Nope...never ridden in Lexington. I will be in Louisville end of March where I plan to meet another RBR member for a ride. Do you live in the area?

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Most of mine are mixed

My main bike, silver and black, has a black Velocity front rim and a blue CXP33 rim in the rear. I just pretend that I planned it that way...

My opinion, I think the black and silver combo might look cool.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:

Aren't the nipples,eyelets,spokes in most cases stainless steel. I would not spray the oven cleaner on, but apply it on the rim in small sections with a brush. I agree its a lot of work, but
I can't believe the anodization is very deep on an alum rim. BTW, I think oven cleaner will
STAIN/ETCH? the alum surface. So a uniform application would be needed.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That settles it !!

racerx said:
My main bike, silver and black, has a black Velocity front rim and a blue CXP33 rim in the rear. I just pretend that I planned it that way...

My opinion, I think the black and silver combo might look cool.
If I mix/match silver and black I won't be a fashion pariah!!

Yeah...silver and black may look cool since my frame is all black with silver print.....

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
He didn't specify...

Road cyclist said:
Aren't the nipples,eyelets,spokes in most cases stainless steel. I would not spray the oven cleaner on, but apply it on the rim in small sections with a brush. I agree its a lot of work, but
I can't believe the anodization is very deep on an alum rim. BTW, I think oven cleaner will
STAIN/ETCH? the alum surface. So a uniform application would be needed.
the nips may very well be SS but just as likley Alu. The thought of easy off oozing into the spoke holes still makes me nervous though...

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
You will start a trend and initiate a totally new fashion statement. Pretty soon it will be so common that only those with matching wheels will be considered avant garde and everyone will be going back. This will take place in the span of five years and will repeat ad nauseum. You will always be in fashion. Just Do It!

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Propagation of erro

Road cyclist said:
Aren't the nipples,eyelets,spokes in most cases stainless steel.
Spokes yes, eyelets maybe/probably, nipples are most commonly plated brass or aluminim. There may well be SS nipples out there somewhere, but I'm not aware of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts