Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To avoid wear and tear on my tires, I was thinking about getting the Continental UltraSport Hometrainer tire. Since I don't want the hassle of mounting and remounting a couple of tires every time I use the trainer, I am debating the purchase of a new wheel. I've narrowed it down to a rear Mavic MA3 with a 105 or Sora hub ($80 or $70 respectively, plus shipping from Nashbar), and the Vuelta XRP-Comp from BikesDirect (ebay store) ($119 shipped for the wheelset, warranty included). I'm leaning towards the Vuelta because I wouldn't mind having an extra set of wheels. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
219 Posts
I can't comment on your wheel choice, but what you are suggesting is pretty much what I have done. I bought the Continental trainer tire and a cheap shimano rear wheel, and put an old cassette on it, which does exclusive duty as the trainer wheel. Of course, using an old wheel and tire that you have lying around would be better, but not everyone has the luxury of having spare wheels lying around. The Continental trainer tire seems to last much longer on the trainer than a normal tire and is also a lot quieter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.