Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
kdub said:
In general what is the mileage intervals between wheel hubs overhaul?
For Shimano, every couple months if you ride a lot in the rain, maybe once per year if you ride a lot but not in the rain... assuming that the hubs were packed and adjusted well to start with. Or if you like taking things apart and playing with grease, then whenever you get the urge.

kdub said:
Also what symptom(s) will the wheels begin to exhibit that is indicative of an overhaul?
A lack of smoothness when spinning the wheels in your hands... ticking sounds.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you can hear a ticking sound in anything but a super-quiet room when your ear is right next to the hub then you'll most likely need all new bearings. Get them re-packed every couple of months (learn to do it yourself, not that hard really) and they'll last for longer than you could ever hope.

Edited for spelling

·
Shut up legs!
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up my wheels from overhauling.. however I can still hear a ticking sound.. but not as loud as before. I can also hear and feel an occasional click sound that sounds like an abrasion of something inside... This overhauling had replaced all the bears with new ones.. but why is there still this sound? Is it perhaps normal? Or the hub is pretty shot despite new bearings and grease?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.