Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious - I was looking at wheelsets online and they mentioned the rim, spokes, nipples, rim tape but what is a wheel magnet? This maybe a simple question but I could think of what it would be used for. Enlighten please.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Purpose of magnet

The magnet cancels out the affect of the Earth's magnetic field so that the wheels can rotate freely. Without the canceling magnet, the wheels would always want to rotate to point north, like a compass.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Mark McM said:
The magnet cancels out the affect of the Earth's magnetic field so that the wheels can rotate freely. Without the canceling magnet, the wheels would always want to rotate to point north, like a compass.
Nooooooooooooo . . . The wheel magnet is what draws you to buy them in the shop when you already have wheels at home. They remove the magnet at the point of sale. That way, once you get them home and use them a while you're drawn back into the shop by another magnet . . . to buy more wheels.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Big brother is watching you.

Mark McM said:
First it was the Quakers then it was the vegan ham protestors, now it's our turn. The NSA uses wheel magnets to induce an electronic signal to a satelite in space that allows them to track your movements. Since bicycling is done on public roads, there is no presumption of privacy and so no warrent is legally required for them to track this data. Many riders foolishly don't even realize they are being tracked and, since no warrents are involved, there is no third party oversight and no court records to indicate the size of the project.

You can partially obfuscate the signal by weaving strips of aluminum foil through your spokes. That's what all of us riders who understand the importance of the Bill of Rights are doing. Even while using aluminum foil, I'd be careful about using my bicycle to transport large amounts of ammomium nitrate fertilizer or diesel fuel.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
Even while using aluminum foil, I'd be careful about using my bicycle to transport large amounts of ammomium nitrate fertilizer or diesel fuel.
How 'bout talcum powder? Would that be all right to carry? :confused:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Great! A guy using an "Osama" screen name responds to one of my posts and now I've got some big model airplane following me everywhere I go.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Quick! Get an aluminum foil beanie, or they'll read your mind. Or worse, use their mind control rays to let you ride errands for their evil schemes.. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts