Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Tarmac Expert came with a Mavic Equipes. The bike road nice, but still felt a lot of chatter still on chip sealed roads. I expected a carbon frame with carbon bars and seatpost to feel better. I switched to my old training wheels which are 32 spoke ultegra 9sp hubs on cxp33 rims and GP 4 Seasons tires.

What a difference in road feel, so much quieter and feels a lot better on the chip sealed roads. So any ideas on why these fell better?

Is it the tires or the hubs/wheels?

· Registered
160 Posts
I would say tires and/or air pressure. Depending on your weight, try reducing the air pressure. If still not happy do a test by swapping the tires. Just today swapped my 23s for 25s with lower air pressure. Much smoother with little or no performance penalty.

· Registered
1 Posts
I need help airing up my tires, I recently bought a Fuji racing bike at a yard sale. (unbelieveable I know) and I have no clue how to air up the tires. Is there a special adapter needed? The bike did not come with a pump.

· Registered
2,745 Posts
Probably a little of both. GP4000's are pretty sweet compared to almost any 'came with the bike' tire and your ultegra/cxp33 combo is probably better than the equipts. If you're a heavy guy the extra spokes probably play a roll too. Possible build quality difference between the two as well.

· Registered
792 Posts
heybeerman said:
I need help airing up my tires, I recently bought a Fuji racing bike at a yard sale. (unbelieveable I know) and I have no clue how to air up the tires. Is there a special adapter needed? The bike did not come with a pump.
Figure out if you have Presta or Shraeder valves.
Buy pump accordingly.

· Hi
568 Posts
spepic said:
My new Tarmac Expert came with a Mavic Equipes. The bike road nice, but still felt a lot of chatter still on chip sealed roads. I expected a carbon frame with carbon bars and seatpost to feel better. I switched to my old training wheels which are 32 spoke ultegra 9sp hubs on cxp33 rims and GP 4 Seasons tires.

What a difference in road feel, so much quieter and feels a lot better on the chip sealed roads. So any ideas on why these fell better?

Is it the tires or the hubs/wheels?

Both. You can compensate by playing with air pressure. Start at 85 front 90 rear if you're in the 160 lb range (higher if you're heavier) and increase by 3psi increments until you find a good compromise.

· Registered
160 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
Probably a little of both. GP4000's are pretty sweet compared to almost any 'came with the bike' tire and your ultegra/cxp33 combo is probably better than the equipts. If you're a heavy guy the extra spokes probably play a roll too. Possible build quality difference between the two as well.
OP referred to GP 4 seasons which I find do not ride as smoothly as GP4000s.

My wife has Michelin PR2s mounted on Equipes on a 3 year old Tarmac Expert. 90 PSI front 100 PSI rear. I don't know how much she weighs, maybe 135. I remember replacing the stock Specialized tires immediately because they performed so poorly. She thinks the bike rides smoothly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.