Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 with Bontrager Race Lite wheels. The rear wheel does not stay true. I go for a couple rides and the rear is out of true. The wheel has been to the shop too many times to be retrued. I'm thinking about having the wheel complety rebuilt. Is this a feasable option or should I sell the wheelset and purchase a different wheelset? Also, who would you recommend to rebuild the wheel?

Dave

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I can think of a few possibilities:

a) You are abusing the hell out of them.
b) The guys at the shop don't know how to true and tension wheels properly.
c) Something is slowly coming apart... like spoke holes in the hub or rim, or nipples.
d) The rim was bent and the wheel can't be trued with even tension... somewhat related to a and b.

Have you been breaking spokes? How many miles? Did the problems just start?

I'd shop around for somebody who really knows wheels... if you don't want to get into it yourself. You could probably just sell them, but do you really want that karma?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
You can take the tension off all the spokes, lay the wheel on a flat surface such as a garage floor, and see how much the wheel is bent. If it is substantially bent, get a new wheel. It almost may seem that somehow some spokes are loosening up. Try truing the wheel yourself and mark the spokes or the rim side that you are tightening and see if next time the wheel is out of true that it's in the same spot. It's possible the threaded nipples are stripped and won't hold the tension. It's also possible the spokes are being pulled through the rim, it doesn't take much. Maybe the spoke hole was drilled too large for the spoke. Maybe the spokes are defective and the metal is too soft and is being stretched too much and not "springing" back to maintain the tension. Again, if you mark the spokes or the side of the rim where you are tightening them, you'll see if it happens in the same spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts