Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of a 08 madone with Ksyrium SL Premium? Just wanted to see how it looks with a set of these wheels. In the market for a second wheel set and I was thinkin about buying the R-Sys, but people are giving the wheel bad reviews. Any thoughts on whether I should go with the R-Sys or the Ksyrium SL Premium ? I need a set because the roads are pretty bumpy in chicago and I don't want to Ruin my Carbon XXX Lites. I will use my second wheel set for most of my time in chicago, on rainy days, and out it the country (Sometimes) which is very hilly and much different terrain, so i want to maintain some of the lightness of my current wheels but i want something where i don't have to worry about breaking a carbon rim. I have done the search for R-sys and read some conflicting reviews. The magazines give it good ratings, my dealer says they don't hold speed at all. Please help if you can.. Will look to purchase either of these wheels within a month or so.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
The R-Sys is a boutique wheel and, as such there are risks associated with these type wheels. While the R-Sys might be light, stiff and ride very nice - especially over your bumpy terrain, the failure of one could be troublesome. It's boutique and just about any repair would have to go back to Mavic. They are not a very "aero" wheel either.

The SL on the other hand, is nowdays pretty much a tried and true wheel. Most of the ride comes from the tires and, tire pressure. So, although the Kysrium is stiff you can buffer this with tires and pressure.

I believe I would go with the Ksyrium for a second set of beat around wheels. The R-Sys might be a better choice for climbing but, you already have this covered with your Race-XXX-Lites. They are outstanding climbing wheels.

Another option for you is the Race-X-Lite or, the new Shimano WH 7850-24CL (though this one may be out of your price range).

I don't know, if it was me then I would probably try to get a good price on another set of Race-XXX-Lites. It makes swapping seamless and, its arguable that there is not really a better wheel out there. Or, I would get the aforementioned 7850's if you want something by another manufacture that is equal to your XXX's.

All just my opinion of course and, I am no expert so take it with the usual grain of salt.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rnhood,

sorry did you suggest i should get another set of my carbon XXX lites? I love the wheels, but i dont' want to break both sets.. haha. I road them in the trek 100 and man they really got me through the tough climbs in the end.

I saw the dura Ace wheels just before i came to the thread they look amazing are are just as light as my Carbon XXX lites. Do you think they are durable, I wouldn't mind getting a set of those if they are stronger for the roads out here in chicago. It would be a great buy for me.

I really appreciate your feedback on the R-sys wheels, everyone has been bashing them. I understand if they are a bad wheel, but i like an honest opinion about them, with subjective information. Do you think the Dura ace wheels will change give the new 7900 is coming out? don't want to forgoe that cash if they are updating the wheels.

thanks again.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
I don't think that you will break both sets unless you are particularly hard on wheels. I don't own the Race-XXX's but, reports show them as being a robust wheel for carbon. However, I would probably want a different wheel if only for the sightly different feel. Variety is nice.

The DA 7850-24 is the new top end Shimano wheel. 7900 is not affecting it. They are just now releasing it. Its replacing the 7801 wheel which, is a good wheel itself.

Shimano also offers the 7850 in a tube/tubless model (WH-7850-SL) which is available now. It's slightly heavier that the carbon/scandium 7850-24 model but, if you run the Hutchinson tubless Fusion tires the weight will come out about the same as the tube version of the wheel. And, for rough roads those tubless tires will provide a better ride since they run on a little less pressure (80-85 lbs). They are less prone to flatting also if you're comparing them to their tubed equivalents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Consider the Easton SLX 90's. I rode them for a month on a Specialized Tarmac SL2 and they were great. The Tarmac on the other hand, excellent, but couldn't get fit properly so I took it back. Now am seriously back to the Madonne and will prob. get that in a few weeks after the LBS sets it up for me to test.

Been trying to decide on the wheels and am giving the Ksyriums as well as Easton's I mentioned serious consideration.

Comments guys?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
I-Ride said:
Consider the Easton SLX 90's. I rode them for a month on a Specialized Tarmac SL2 and they were great. The Tarmac on the other hand, excellent, but couldn't get fit properly so I took it back. Now am seriously back to the Madonne and will prob. get that in a few weeks after the LBS sets it up for me to test.

Been trying to decide on the wheels and am giving the Ksyriums as well as Easton's I mentioned serious consideration.

Comments guys?
IME the Tarmac and Madone are so close in geometry I'm surprised you couldn't get fit properly on it, or I'm just misreading what you wrote. Anyway, regarding wheelsets my only comment is that JensonUSA has the EA90 SL's on sale for $499 - am considering them myself, but have no experience with Easton's (or Ksyrium's for that matter).

·
Registered
73 Posts
PJ - I was on a 54 CM Tarmac. I have a Fizik Arionne saddle and the LBS had it nearly as far forward as it could go....started me with a 100 mm stem (back objected) sp I flipped it to a 16 degree rise..still back objected. Went to a 90 mm stem, 7 degree rise. Still issues. Finally tried a 80 mm stem and 16 degree rise. STILL bad. I really think the LBS had me on a frame too big. He suggested I go to a longer stem and stretch out more. That's when I decided I'd had enough and returned the bike. Maybe had I gone with a 52 cm frame the Tarmac w/b okay.

At any rate, I gave my independent fit info. to my Trek dealer, and he's going to have me try a 52 cm Madonne, 100 mm stem. Measures almost spot on for the reach per my bike fit (independent guy helped me).

I'll report back.

As for the Eastons, the ones I rode were the SLX 90's. They go for about $750. 1420 grams. Sweet ride.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
I-Ride said:
PJ - I was on a 54 CM Tarmac. I have a Fizik Arionne saddle and the LBS had it nearly as far forward as it could go....started me with a 100 mm stem (back objected) sp I flipped it to a 16 degree rise..still back objected. Went to a 90 mm stem, 7 degree rise. Still issues. Finally tried a 80 mm stem and 16 degree rise. STILL bad. I really think the LBS had me on a frame too big. He suggested I go to a longer stem and stretch out more. That's when I decided I'd had enough and returned the bike. Maybe had I gone with a 52 cm frame the Tarmac w/b okay.

At any rate, I gave my independent fit info. to my Trek dealer, and he's going to have me try a 52 cm Madonne, 100 mm stem. Measures almost spot on for the reach per my bike fit (independent guy helped me).

I'll report back.

As for the Eastons, the ones I rode were the SLX 90's. They go for about $750. 1420 grams. Sweet ride.
Wow, I see your point about 'having enough'. I don't get why the saddle had to be positioned so far forward, unless they were doing that to compensate for reach (which isn't a good 'fix').

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end, but if the 52 cm Madone suites you, you should've been on a 52 cm Tarmac. I'm 5' 6", 765 mm (bike) inseam, longer torso and both 52's fit me fine with the edge going to the Tarmac. So yes, I'd be interested to hear about your outcome.

Regarding wheels, to my knowledge the only difference between the SL's and SLX's are that the SLX's have a few less spokes and weigh about 80 grams less (and cost $250 more) than the SL's, so I'll be focusing on the SL's. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.