Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finalizing my build for a new Cervelo RS and will soon want to upgrade the stock wheels to something better and a little lighter (stock Shimano RS10 wheels weigh ~1850grams). Looking to drop ~200 grams. The new wheels will stay on the bike for all rides - hard 20-25 mile week night rides to somewhat easier 50+ mile weekend rides. I weigh about 195-200lbs and don't 'abuse' my equipment, but also want something that will hold up to everyday riding on everyday rodes, etc. etc.

Thanks!!

·
Vespajg
74 Posts
Ron Ruff at White Mountain Wheels (www.whitemountainwheels.com) built me a set in that price range with Niobium 30s, White Industry hubs, and CX-Ray spokes. I'm a bit lighter than you, so I went with an 18 front, 24 rear. Total build came out to just over 1400 grams.

I would anticipate that Ron can build you a 20/28 with no problem, and very little weight difference. His build was excellent, customer service wonderful, and the wheels have been great and required no break in time. Perfect out of the box (ridden 10-15 hours a week for one month so far). The experience convinced me that the past 10 years of pre-builts were all due to marketing. Pre-builts aren't bad wheels, they just aren't as nice as custom IMO. When my Mavics or Bontragers go bad, I dread the ordeal that I will soon have to go through to get it taken care of. I always know that I can email Ron or take the wheel to a shop (my favorite shop in town is a small shop so getting all the Bontrager/Mavic stuff is difficult, although I could go to the larger shops) and have it trued or a spoke replaced (Ron includes a few extras) without a problem. If it's beyond that, it's more than likely my fault and not the wheels.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
At your size, I'm not sure you will notice much difference between your stock wheels and 200g lighter. Unless (perhaps) your rides involve a lot of climbing (7-10%+ grades) or you race 'crits (repeated hard accelerations). For everyday wheels I certainly would not go lighter if it meant giving up reliability/durability.
That said, it's always nice to have a spare wheelset (if you don't already).
I would agree with going custom. In your price range you should be able to get a decent (and easily repairable) wheelset spec'd to YOUR specific riding style.
I would ride those RS-10's on your new Cervelo for 1000mi or so while thinking about precisely what you like/dislike about them (stiffness, ride quality, etc.). You might also try new tires to make sure what you are feeling is in the wheels rather than the tires. Using the RS-10's as a baseline will help a lot in deciding on the best new wheels for YOU (whether custom or pre-built).

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...

Oldteen said:
At your size, I'm not sure you will notice much difference between your stock wheels and 200g lighter. Unless (perhaps) your rides involve a lot of climbing (7-10%+ grades) or you race 'crits (repeated hard accelerations). For everyday wheels I certainly would not go lighter if it meant giving up reliability/durability.
That said, it's always nice to have a spare wheelset (if you don't already).
I would agree with going custom. In your price range you should be able to get a decent (and easily repairable) wheelset spec'd to YOUR specific riding style.
I would ride those RS-10's on your new Cervelo for 1000mi or so while thinking about precisely what you like/dislike about them (stiffness, ride quality, etc.). You might also try new tires to make sure what you are feeling is in the wheels rather than the tires. Using the RS-10's as a baseline will help a lot in deciding on the best new wheels for YOU (whether custom or pre-built).
I MAY not be going with a complete bike build....don't want to get into the details right now, but what are thoughts on the following build for my described usage (I may change white industry hubs to DTSWISS 240S hubs):

Front
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Al Nipple - (red)
White Industries H2 front (black)
Kinlin Niobium, 30mm

Rear
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Al Nipple - (red)
White Industries H2 rear S (black)
Kinlin Niobium, 30mm

Total Weight - 1502.6
Any ideas on reasonable price?

Thanks....

·
Roadie Wannabe
7 Posts
MCF said:
I MAY not be going with a complete bike build....don't want to get into the details right now, but what are thoughts on the following build for my described usage (I may change white industry hubs to DTSWISS 240S hubs):

Front
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Al Nipple - (red)
Kinlin Niobium, 30mm

Rear
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Al Nipple - (red)
Kinlin Niobium, 30mm

Total Weight - 1502.6

Thanks....
I just had pretty much the same wheelset built except I went with Kinlin 27mm rims. Everthing else is the same including red alloy nipples. I weigh 165 and went with 24 front and 28 rear for spoke counts. My wheels weighed in at 1482. I paid 675 with DT Swiss skewers and rim tape. I got a bit of a team deal from a local builder so I'm not sure what exact retail would be. They look and ride really nice, good and stiff.

Dean

·
Vespajg
74 Posts
Pretty much the same wheels that I had built - should come in around 600-700 bux depending on who builds them for you and how much you pay for shipping, etc. The DTs are great hubs from what I've heard, but I didn't think the additional cost justified the benefit over the WI if there is any. I'm very pleased with the WI and would choose them again . . .

·
Registered
587 Posts
MCF said:
Finalizing my build for a new Cervelo RS and will soon want to upgrade the stock wheels to something better and a little lighter (stock Shimano RS10 wheels weigh ~1850grams). Looking to drop ~200 grams. The new wheels will stay on the bike for all rides - hard 20-25 mile week night rides to somewhat easier 50+ mile weekend rides. I weigh about 195-200lbs and don't 'abuse' my equipment, but also want something that will hold up to everyday riding on everyday rodes, etc. etc.

Thanks!!
Bang for buck ROL Race SL's are what the Dr. ordered. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ROL Race SL's...

master2129 said:
Bang for buck ROL Race SL's are what the Dr. ordered. :thumbsup:
Look nice, but their have been some questionable posts and the reviews all read like 'advertisements' and no one at any LBS I have been has ever heard of or seen ROL wheels...and we are talking about a lot of very serious riders.

·
Registered
167 Posts
MCF said:
Look nice, but their have been some questionable posts and the reviews all read like 'advertisements' and no one at any LBS I have been has ever heard of or seen ROL wheels...and we are talking about a lot of very serious riders.
A fair point, but other than the "proprietary" hubs, the components are known quantities, right?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
MCF said:

Front
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Al Nipple - (red)
Kinlin Niobium, 30mm

Rear
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Sapim CX-Ray (black)
Al Nipple - (red)
Kinlin Niobium, 30mm

Total Weight - 1502.6

Thanks....
Pretty well-regarded lay out. I would consider brass nipples for durability, at least for the drive side rear. But brass doesn't come in fancy colors ;(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.