Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Bianchi Brava some time back and all was fine - except the wheels gave out - spokes broke on front and rear - and I had a puncture. I am a heavy rider (195 lbs) and replaced the stock set wheels and tires with a set of Mavic Kysrium with Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase with which have been fine - I mention that as a point of reference - those wheels seem to work well for me.

Before making the switch I had broken spokes replaced and the wheels adjusted at two bike shops but spokes continued to pop. So I got the new wheels and hung up the originals.

Now I want to rebuild the original wheels with new spokes and maybe rims. I think the spokes busted because the wheels were built with too much or uneven spoke tension - but it could be the rims are not a good fit for a heavy rider such as myself either - or the spokes where junk - in any case - the hubs are certainly fine - and I am willing to go full bore and do spokes and rims if that's my best alternative.

If I rebuild - does anyone have a recommendation for some good spokes?

If I rebuild - should I purchase a different set of rims?

How does one measure spokes to be sure they fit?

Thanks your comments. /humble

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
That original wheelset is hardly worth rebuilding. To do the job right, new spokes and rims should be used and that means you're getting close to the price of a new set of wheels. A couple of OpenPro rims and a set of DT Competition spokes will knock you back about $180-200. For $240 you could have these and the Ultegra hubs will be better than what you now have.

You figure out spoke lengths on one of the many spoke calculators.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point mike - i think i go for spoke replacement and just loosen the wheels and redish, retension them. /h

1 - 3 of 3 Posts