Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hit by a car earlier today. I was in a roadabout, the driver didn´t see me. I wasn´t hurt, but my front tire was, and now it isn´t round anymore. Too bad I didn´t notice before he was gone...

Anyway, what can I do? I don´t race or anything, and I really don´t want to buy a new wheel if it is not absolutely necessary. Can these things be repaired? Can I do it mysef? What do you suggest?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
It depends, on the nature of the damage. Bicycle wheels can often be repaired, if the rim isn't damaged too badly. What exactly do you mean by "not round"? Since you're inexperienced, I'd suggest you take it to a bike shop. They'll tell you if they can fix it, and how much it will cost. If it's repairable, that's cheaper than buying a new wheel, generally.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
If your rim is bent, it is likely ruined. It is almost impossible to true a bent rim. On the other hand, if you didn't notice, does that mean you rode away? If your wheel was rideable, it might not be in bad shape.

Where do you live? Just curious--- we have a lot of roundabouts here, and I have a love hate relationship with them. I love that I usually don't need to stop, and that I have the right of way if I need to make a left turn. I don't like how cars try to race me into them, thinking I am a slow bike. I hate it if a car tries passing me in one. I save an especially evil stink-eye for those miscreants.

elephant said:
I was hit by a car earlier today. I was in a roadabout, the driver didn´t see me. I wasn´t hurt, but my front tire was, and now it isn´t round anymore. Too bad I didn´t notice before he was gone...

Anyway, what can I do? I don´t race or anything, and I really don´t want to buy a new wheel if it is not absolutely necessary. Can these things be repaired? Can I do it mysef? What do you suggest?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The guy in the bike shop said it couldn´t be repaired, so I´m getting a new wheel.

I live in Oslo, Norway. There are quite a few roundabouts here, especially a bit outside the city centre. I kind of like them - there is a certain beauty to it when the traffic flows effortlessly through them, but I too have noticed that many car drivers show little consideration for bike riders, like, as you said, underestimating the speed of the rider, trying to pass on the inside and then pulling out to exit the roundabout before them.

Now at least in the future I will remember to check the integrity of my bike before nodding the driver off, should I ever have close contact with a car again.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Freaky. I live in Stavanger-- we have roundabouts everywhere. I cannot remember the last time I had to wait at a light on a bike.

I'll be in Olso in a week for the Springsteen concert.

I'd loan you a wheel if you lived a bit closer. Your hub is probably still good--- and I have a friend who builds custom wheels if you want it rebuilt cheaply.

elephant said:
The guy in the bike shop said it couldn´t be repaired, so I´m getting a new wheel.

I live in Oslo, Norway. There is quite a few roundabouts here, especially a bit outside the city centre. I kind of like them - there is a certain beauty to it when the traffic flows effortlessly through them, but I too have noticed that many car drivers show little consideration for bike riders, like, as you said, underestimating the speed of the rider, trying to pass on the inside and then pulling out to exit the roundabout before them.

Now at least in the future I will remember to check the integrity of my bike before nodding the driver off, should I ever have close contact with a car again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.