Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After not having a bike for many years (last bike was early 1970's Schwinn Continental) I just purchased a 1986 Cannondale R700 on craigslist for $190. It is black with gold components. I took it to a bike shop to get pedals and was told bike was some special model. Local bike shop tech also said for my use I should look for clincher rims and threaded hub wheels to replace the present hub/ Mavic GP4 rim combo. He suggested used because new would be too expensive.
Can someone tell me if I got a reasonable deal on the bike? Can anybody tell me if this bike is some kind of special model? (Search of frame # on vintage Cannondale site revealed nothing). Does anyone have some recommendations for replacement wheels so I can use clincher tires?
I'm 58 and got the bike for recreational use-knees don't like running too much anymore. Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If its black with golden components could it be a Black Lightning? That was a very nice bike back in the day, usually with Suntour Sprint components. Just do a search for "Black Lightning" and you'll get tons of information on its original setup. This site, http://www.vintagecannondale.com/index.html , has scans of old catalogs and can help you figure out your bike's serial number and therefore the year of manufacture, and thus which catalog to check out.

Robert

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm going through the same problem....for me though, the rear hub is crap and doesn't match the front, so I'm taking the route of replacing the entire wheelset.
I'd wonder about the bike shop you're working with though as they missed out on an opportunity to help you out. If the rear hubs are in decent condition, have them rebuild the hubs and then build up a new set of wheels with some good clincher rims. If they don't/can't rebuild the hubs, then try another shop and get a second opinion.

got pics?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Chris, you got a great deal on the bike, provided there are no dents and everything works. Sounds like a Black Lightning.

If it has GP4's on it, I would really try to learn how to glue tires. It's not that difficult, and the ride can't be beat. GP4's are bullet/pothole proof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the information. I will try to get a couple pictures to post. Was busy putting pedals on the bike and taking it for a spin last evening. It is quite a bit different from what I remember riding...much more sensitive to inputs and a whole lot faster.

The first bike shop I went to said the wheels could be rebuilt but cost would outweigh value. Went to another shop on way home and fellow had a complete set of clincher wheels, tires, and six cog(?) freewheel by Campagnolo for $150. I may go back today to get them, and store the original wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts