Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really trying to self-regulate buying anymore gear. So if we limit the discussion to what I currently have can you give me some guidance on which, if any wheels I should be swapping?

I've always been a decent climber, but nothing great. Pretty decent on the flats, I can keep up with just about any A group ride....but I'm not blistering off the front for a flyer. I take my turn at the front when it comes up.

Last fall I broke my collarbone in 4 places had surgery and PT. Got in a funk and took about 6-months off from riding and running. Got fat and lazy. This march I got back to riding, but don't seem to be able to make it up a hill worth a darn and not much better in the AVG speed department. I've dropped most of the weight. Cardio seems fine, almost back to where I was.

Typical routes for me are 23 miles with 1,800 feet of climbing. 30 miles with 2,800 feet. 44 miles with 3,200 feet and 55 miles with 3,650 feet. I can mix and match my typical routes but rarely ride more than 60-75 at a time and a good week totals about 125 miles. Climbs are not long 1.5 miles at best, most around .75. Grade varies, but nothing crazy. Averages in the 4-8% range.

Wheels I have are Hyperons, Edge 38/68 combo and November 34s. I feel like the 38/68 combo is the fastest on flats or slight hills, but Strava segments suggest the November 34s are the fastest. I really LOVE the feel of the Hyperons. It truly seems like the total wheel package is better than the parts. I've got any cassette under the sun 11-25, 11-27, 12-29 and 11-29, IIRC.

My hill climbs suck, my avg speed is way down from this time last year. I've been mixing and matching all the wheels to try and get a bit more speed. When riding with friends that I could keep up with or beat up hills I am now quickly going backwards. I can't remotely keep up with them. Flats so-so. Climbing really seems to be suffering.

• Ride more and stop whining....it will come back?
  • Choose wheels based on distance/climbs....if so which?
  • Sell everything and keep the Hyperons because the "look" the best, just ride and enjoy things don't worry about speed/times?
  • Something else?

What say you?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Do you think something happened to your wheels when you weren't riding them? Or maybe you meant to post this on the training branch or something but I really don't understand what you're trying to ask about wheels.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its the only real variable I have. I ride the hyperons a lot, but thinking perhaps for the type of climbing maybe more aero is better than light weight/feel. Fitness must be a factor I'm guessing. However, I'm within 2-3 pounds of last summer. I'm running 3 to 4 miles as fast as ever. With cycling I seem to be dragging an anchor around.

I typically pick the lighter wheels because it seems hilly to "me". Wondering if I'm over estimating the value of weight vs aero. But not seeing much difference when I do put on the Edge or Novembers. Maybe you are right it is not a wheel issue at all and there are no gains to be had no matter the selection.

EDIT: To be clear I don't think anything happened/changed with the wheels, just wondering if I could be smarter about which ones to use when.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The answer is behind Door #1......it ain't the wheels that have changed.....its you and the "motor". My guess is ride more and it will come back. Stop Whining is optional.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
OK, let's analyze this situation. You had an injury, took 6 months off the bike and have only been riding again for 2 months. The human body does not recover this quickly.

I am also inclined to choose #1 with the whining part optional. Keep riding/training for at least another year, then re-assess the situation.

Which wheels should you ride? That one is easy. The ones that will make you want to ride more. Wheels will not make you faster themselves, but if they make you love your bike more, you will want to ride more and....well......you get the idea.

·
Registered
20,833 Posts
Its the only real variable I have.
You're the only variable. All your equipment remains unchanged. Therefore any change in your speed/climbing ability is solely upon you.

Fitness must be a factor I'm guessing. However, I'm within 2-3 pounds of last summer. I'm running 3 to 4 miles as fast as ever. With cycling I seem to be dragging an anchor around.
Running ability doesn't directly translate to cycling ability.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
That's for sure. I can take two months off the bike in the winter, xc ski all winter, then come back in March, do a 40 mile ride and feel like I'm hitting a wall for those last 10 miles.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That's for sure. I can take two months off the bike in the winter, xc ski all winter, then come back in March, do a 40 mile ride and feel like I'm hitting a wall for those last 10 miles.
Interesting, I guess I never quite saw that. I've been a runner since middle school and an avid cyclist since my early 20s and its always seemed as my fitness has ebbed and flowed so have both my running and biking goodness/badness.

Sell the bikes concentrate on running? :nono: No way!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts

NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! Biking is way more fun than running. And I don't know how old you are, but eventually your knees will revolt against running. I know a few former runners who bike now because it's easier on the joints.

Reactions: rplace13

·
Registered
20,833 Posts
Interesting, I guess I never quite saw that. I've been a runner since middle school and an avid cyclist since my early 20s and its always seemed as my fitness has ebbed and flowed so have both my running and biking goodness/badness.
It's a well known fact.
Sure doing both running and cycling helps your overall fitness. But running uses different muscles in different ways that don't translate to cycling speed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Lombard:
I turned 50 during my Collarbone recovery. Me, my titanium plate and 8 screws had a grand party. I've done a marathon too many halfs to count and 100s if not 1000s of 5/10Ks. I'm fully committed to cycling at this point, through my 30s/40s running surely took its toll on my back and knees. Now it is just 3-5 miles to mix things up and keep in touch with my first love. I can run in the rain too. Deal I made with the wife after the collarbone is neither of us are getting any younger and we want to grow old together. So I agreed to not bike in the rain. If I get caught in the rain so be it...but I'm not venturing out in a downpour anymore.

tlg:
I get that if I were one sport specific I'd probably focus on that the majority of the time. I just saying that in my particular 35+ years of doing both; as I got better (or worse) at one - the other followed. I'm fine with working out less in the cold/dark months enjoying seasonal beers and fat foods. This last layoff was a bit longer. I'm just frustrated how long it is taking the cycling to show much/any signs of improvement.

How about slightly back on topic? Assume I am at my all time peak fitness, burning up the roads. At my heart I am a gear nerd be it cycling, audio equipment, coffee makers, etc. So what are some opinions of which wheels to use for my various routes above to eek out every advantage...which I really don't care about. I just want to ride, have fun and not be last. But for the sake of argument and since I already have them and not getting rid of them. Light v Areo, when?

Thinking of a Grand Fondo in September with 12,000+ feet of climbing. Pretty sure I'm taking the hyperons there:)

Thanks for the input so far. I'll keep at it. At least the sun has returned to the east coast for now.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

I couldn't run across the street. (well, if I ever decided to try I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make it). And what little ability I have to run has only gotten worse since I took up cycling.

Not to imply I think I'm something special on a bike but I am pretty fast with good endurance.

Some people may happen to be good at both but being good at one definitely 100% doesn't say anything about how good one would be at the other.

One activity that does correlate with cycling is skating though.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
One activity that does correlate with cycling is skating though.
Seriously? Do you mean ice or roller? Watching me do either is comical.

I do a lot of xc skiing during the winter. One thing xc skiing does is improve my flexibility. Biking does just the opposite. They don't seem to complement each other, though.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Seriously? Do you mean ice or roller? Watching me do either is comical.
Ice.
You might be a good cyclist and a horrible skater I'm taking only about fitness transferring, obtaining skill is a who other matter. You saying you suck at skating has to do with learning skill not fitness. You can't even get to the point where fitness matters if you don't have the skill yet.

I assume you've hear of Eric Heiden? He's an extreme example but it's pretty much common knowledge that good skaters make good cyclists and visa versa, but assuming the person actually knows how to skate.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Ice.
You might be a good cyclist and a horrible skater I'm taking only about fitness transferring, obtaining skill is a who other matter. You saying you suck at skating has to do with learning skill not fitness. You can't even get to the point where fitness matters if you don't have the skill yet.

I assume you've hear of Eric Heiden? He's an extreme example but it's pretty much common knowledge that good skaters make good cyclists and visa versa, but assuming the person actually knows how to skate.
I know HOW to ice skate, I'm just not very good at it. If I can go a whole session (1.5 hours) without falling once, I consider that a major accomplishment! Getting my own skates definitely improved my skating. My form has improved since getting my own equipment, but I still only do the basics. And don't even try getting me on a pond with any uneven surfaces. :eek: It probably doesn't help I only go 1-3 times a year. Skating in circles isn't anywhere near as fun as cross country skiing 10 miles of trails a day.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
One of the best cyclist I know was a speed roller skater before coming to cycling. We don't have a lot of Ice in FL.
The last time I did roller skating was when I was 8. I don't think I let go of the guard rails much. If I ever decide to try it again, I will be wearing full body armor. :eek:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
As other have said the wheels have nothing to do with it.
As you get older (I am 58) it takes longer to get back in shape after a long layoff.
You need to give it more time and work up gradually, don't assume you can pick up where you left off. It could actually make things worse because you are not recovering from rides that are harder than you should be doing. Also if you have other stresses in your life that could also have an impact. One option you didn't list:

Ride for the fun and enjoyment of it and don't worry about speed or how you compare to other riders.

That is pretty much what I do after a lifetime of being fiercely competitive and it wasn't working for me anymore. I also have been a runner my whole life but stopped a few years ago not because of injury problems, I just can't do both running and cycling without being too fatigued but I do miss it.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I know HOW to ice skate, I'm just not very good at it. If I can go a whole session (1.5 hours) without falling once, I consider that a major accomplishment! Getting my own skates definitely improved my skating. My form has improved since getting my own equipment, but I still only do the basics. And don't even try getting me on a pond with any uneven surfaces. :eek: It probably doesn't help I only go 1-3 times a year. Skating in circles isn't anywhere near as fun as cross country skiing 10 miles of trails a day.
Ice? The only place I want to find ice is in my drink and that is if it's not a top scotch!
Must be getting old. :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with those who say ride what makes you happy. The performance gains will be minimal in any wheel change. Riding more is what will get you back in riding shape. I ride with a light bike and 404s because I think it looks awesome and I can. There are kids on some group rides on much heavier bike and wheel combos who will ride away from me if they really want to - it ain't the wheels. I'm not racing and I don't need to worry about gaining seconds over 40k, so i just enjoy my bike and wheels for what they are, I try to improve my fitness levels, and my willingness to suffer more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.