Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have CXP-21 on the back (came with the bike) and CXP-33 on the front (which replaced the stock wheel that tacoed in a crash). Thinking of upgrading the wheels and using them on this bike and then transferring them to a new bike when I get it later on. Obvious choice is what many of my clubmates have: Mavic Ksyriums. What are some other options?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Need more info:

velocity said:
Currently have CXP-21 on the back (came with the bike) and CXP-33 on the front (which replaced the stock wheel that tacoed in a crash). Thinking of upgrading the wheels and using them on this bike and then transferring them to a new bike when I get it later on. Obvious choice is what many of my clubmates have: Mavic Ksyriums. What are some other options?
How heavy are you?
What do you want these wheels to do?
etc.

Mike

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
MShaw said:
How heavy are you?
What do you want these wheels to do?
etc.

Mike
190 at start of season; about ten pounds less in season.

Will be used basically for fast club-riding.

·
Registered
240 Posts
velocity said:
190 at start of season; about ten pounds less in season.

Will be used for basically for fast club-riding.
I know that this goes against practically everything that RBR stands for, but if you confine your needs to club riding, all you need is a dependable and sturdy wheelset.

Practically any hub will do, from Shimano Ultegra on up.

And good, dependable rim will do, although I think it is more practical to go with a low profile one, so that you don't have to fret with inner tube valve lengths. If you have a flat, anybody's tube will work for you.

32 hole, 3x lacing front and rear, w/ 14-15 dbl-butted spokes will do nicely. Don't get swept up with saving 25 grams by building a 28 hole wheel.

It's good to have a wheel that, in case you break a spoke, you can still have a wheel that's ridable.

You want solid and dependable. If the guys in your club are dropping you on the hills or beating you to every green county road marker, the problem ain't the wheels.

Plus Vite...que toi?

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I've heard a number of good things about Ksyriums. The main thing I've heard bad is that they are expesive.

I've read a lot of good things about Speed Dream Wheels (www.speeddream.com). Dave Thomas custom builds the wheels for you. He sellects rims, spokes and hubs based on your needs. His prices are reasonable and I've read nothing but good reviews. I think he'll build my next set of wheels.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
For what its worth....

My experience on bikes at home. The best wheelsets that I have in regards to performance and durability... I have the most miles on these wheels and have had the LEAST maintenance. You do have to watch the the 'lock ring?' on the Ksyriums as they tend to back out. You get a special tool to tighten it. Otherwise, despite lots of miles, I haven't had to true either set.

Best bang for the buck... Ultegra laced to Open Pros about $250 pair for ~1700g

Durability, performance and weight, and looks (subjective): Kysrium SLs about $850 pair ~1520g.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bsdc said:
I've read a lot of good things about Speed Dream Wheels (www.speeddream.com). Dave Thomas custom builds the wheels for you. He sellects rims, spokes and hubs based on your needs. His prices are reasonable and I've read nothing but good reviews. I think he'll build my next set of wheels.
Thanks. Hadn't heard of Speed Dream Wheels. Sounds like what I'm looking for ;^). Have bookmarked the site. Honestly my concern is not being dropped by my mates -- my desire is to ride like a dream.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
funknuggets said:
My experience on bikes at home. The best wheelsets that I have in regards to performance and durability... I have the most miles on these wheels and have had the LEAST maintenance. You do have to watch the the 'lock ring?' on the Ksyriums as they tend to back out. You get a special tool to tighten it. Otherwise, despite lots of miles, I haven't had to true either set.

Durability, performance and weight, and looks (subjective): Kysrium SLs about $850 pair ~1520g.
More good advice from the funkmeister! I'm a Campy man so that will factor into my decision -- my other conundrum is I'm currently 9-speed and my eventual new steed will be ten-speed.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Then that makes it easy....

Record to Open Pro CDs for $350 at Excel.

or...

Dura Ace 10 to Open Pro CDs for $384 at Excel.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
plus_vite said:
I know that this goes against practically everything that RBR stands for, but if you confine your needs to club riding, all you need is a dependable and sturdy wheelset.

Practically any hub will do, from Shimano Ultegra on up.

And good, dependable rim will do, although I think it is more practical to go with a low profile one, so that you don't have to fret with inner tube valve lengths. If you have a flat, anybody's tube will work for you.

32 hole, 3x lacing front and rear, w/ 14-15 dbl-butted spokes will do nicely. Don't get swept up with saving 25 grams by building a 28 hole wheel.

It's good to have a wheel that, in case you break a spoke, you can still have a wheel that's ridable.

You want solid and dependable. If the guys in your club are dropping you on the hills or beating you to every green county road marker, the problem ain't the wheels.

Plus Vite...que toi?
agree

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ultegra- Mavic OP combo at 1700g???

funknuggets said:

Are you SURE you can get a Ultegra- OP combo to weigh in at 1700g?

Some sample weights:

Mavic OP rims (true weight is around 435g): 870g
Shimano Dura Ace hubs (Ultegra are heavier): 431g (not counting skewers)
64 14-15 guage dbl-butted spokes (nothing fancy): 418g

64 nipples will add at least 60 more grams...

The real world total for Ultegra -OP is closer to 1800g - without skewers.

Still, not bad.

Plus Vite...que toi???

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Right on...

Sorry man, I only estimated 32 spokes... right on, nice catch. I estimated, cause I have a little different setup on mine and they still are durable as heck.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
plus_vite said:

Plus Vite...que toi?
That pretty well sums it all up.

I'd go Velocity Aeroheads vs. OPs, but that's me.

You want FANCY? Then spring for a pair of 404s. That way you can be like 90% of the SDBC club here in San Diego: lots of nice bikes that get ridden a bit, but never raced... (oh, wait! I'm sorry. That would be their Sat. ride...)

The only thing that Ksyriums do that OP/Aerohead wheels don't is lighten your wallet a large amount.

I have a real good time hurting guys on my 32/36hole MA40 wheelset... Right up until I get to Fiesta Is. Thursday nights and try and hang on to the Cat1s' wheels.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.