Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just would like to seek your opinions regarding wheel sizes.

Which is better a 27 x 1 1/8 wheels or a 700c sized wheels? Is there really a big difference?

I have noticed that most bike frames can only accomodate the 700c sized wheels.

Cheers!:confused

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Gambit_0430 said:
Hello,

Just would like to seek your opinions regarding wheel sizes.

Which is better a 27 x 1 1/8 wheels or a 700c sized wheels? Is there really a big difference?

I have noticed that most bike frames can only accomodate the 700c sized wheels.

Cheers!:confused
27 inch is an old American standard that is no longer used. Only worry about it if you have an old frame/brake caliper combination that will not take 700c wheels. - TF

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Choices

Gambit_0430 said:
No real performance difference except that 27" is now obsolete, so getting better quality tires and rims gets more and more difficult with time. The wise person would not buy a bike with 27" wheels except at an extremely low price and when money was the primary issue.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
1 of my bikes will take both; I can't feel a difference

As the other posters said, there's no real difference. My singlespeed (an old Trek tourer I converted) came with 27-inch wheels, but when I replaced them, I realized there was enough adjustment in the canti brakes to let me put on 700C's (which are slightly smaller). I swapped because it's getting hard to find good 27-inch tires, but I defy anybody to feel the difference between the two wheel sizes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.