Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
lawrence said:
I'm getting a new set of wheels. Of course I'm keeping my old set. Should I loosen the spoke tension before I store them?
No.

They're far stronger and less susceptible to damage strung and tensioned.

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
lawrence said:
I'm getting a new set of wheels. Of course I'm keeping my old set. Should I loosen the spoke tension before I store them?
Are you a skier by chance? If you are, then I know where this question is coming from.

I always chuckle when I see all the "should I take the tension off my bindings" posts at the end of each ski season... People will wear out before those springs do!

I never mess with wheels unless they're turning into tacos, and would NEVER consider backing off spoke tension.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Yes, de-tension all spokes!

I heard this question before, years ago, and did a drawing on it for a cycling newsletter April 1 issue. Don't ask me how many people took this for good science . . .:p

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,337 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
I always make a point of speaking affirmingly to my spare wheels. That way they won't be so stressed. It works too! I've never had a spare wheel pop a spoke.
O contraire,

I always allow my radially laced hoops to listen to some heavy metal.Get that whole learning by osmosis thing going.

HTH NTTAWWT TIA FWIW YMMV

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Nevermind the pack mentality, it seems peer pressure is still rampant among the so-called adults here. The answer is, no. Under no circumstance loosen or tighten the spoke tension when you're not trueing a wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.