Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you guys store your spare wheels. My half hazzard solution needs change quick. I've got about 10 race wheels/spares that a few are tubies so must be hung. Any good products out there? I've seen mostly home projects but something easier would be nice...

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I don't know, 'cause all I've ever used was homemade!

I went down to the local hardware place and got some lengths of 3/4" threaded pipe and some flanges of the appropriate size.

Slide a tube over the pipe for scratch resistance.

Install on the walls of your garage above head height and place wheels on the pipes.

12" holds 2-3 wheels
18" holds 4-5 wheels

Wheel bags help lots in keeping things neat...

HTH,

M

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I use wheelbags for all the good wheels and leave the others in the open. You can get bags for about $15 or so from Nashbar or Performance on "Sale" or name brand bags from lots of sources. All get hung from large vinyl coated "J" type hooks, cost less than $1 each, that I screw into a rafter in my garage. A hook will hold 3 wheels, 4 if you squeeze them in. I put them at the front of the area where the cars are parked, so they don't interfere with anything. Ceiling height is 10", so they don't get in the way. Hooks work for hanging extra frames...... I have those too, doesn't everyone?

· Banned
6,492 Posts
J hooks for the wheels, pipe racks for the tires

I don't have many wheels, just four beyond the ones that are on the six bikes (four mine, two my wife's) at any given time. They hang from J hooks screwed into the garage rafters (I got 12 for $10 at Home Depot a couple of years ago).
I do have a s-load of tires, for some reason. Easiest way I've found to store those is to run a piece of pipe or rod between two J hooks in the rafters and hang them from that. Two short sections make acess easier than one six- or eight-footer. Seemed like the ones I wanted were always in the middle, so I had to remove and replace a dozen tires.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I've got a bunch of "J" shaped storage hooks that are screwed into the wall studs in my basement. Each one can hold three to four wheels. In season, I only leave the wheels with Vittoria's on the racks. Conti tubies and clinchers are left leaning against the wall cuz' they hold air for months before leaking flat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.