Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Foothill Olympics were alive and well today my friends.

Today, I'm coming back from my longest training ride yet this season, and I was absolutely fried, toast, drained and tired as hell. Then to make matters worse, I was fighting cramps from the base of Mtn Home Rd back to Peet's in Los Altos.

So, at about Hillview and Foothill (approx 12:15pm) this S.O.B. grabs my wheel and doesn't come through, say hi or anything and lets me toe him to Edith in Los Altos. This coming after he did this to someone from Alpine/Junipero Serra to Arastradero. I tried to ride him off, but the legs were toast and I couldn't drop the scum bag.

At each light, he'd fade back so he could be behind me when it turned green. When I slowed down, so did he. MY GOD I WANTED TO PUT MY FRAME PUMP THROUGH HIS FRONT WHEEL. I don't care how fried you are, you don't sit back behind someone that long and not take your turn, or ride next to them.:mad2:

So, has this happened to you, and if so, what is the proper etiquette to tell someone to get off your wheel and come through for a pull?

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kwc Is A Sissy!!

No particular reason really, I just haven't ridden with him in a while, and I miss the verbal abuse!:thumbsup:

You better be there on the 22nd Peter Parker! Devon too. Probably not Pirate or Ninja though. If they dropped me uphill I'd be sad.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
Wasn't me. :) I did my run down Foothill on Friday afternoon, and thanks to the dude making serious time pacing me that I absolutely couldn't catch.

So, has this happened to you, and if so, what is the proper etiquette to tell someone to get off your wheel and come through for a pull?
Probably just a newb that's not familiar with proper etiquette.

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
The proper ettiquette is to take a chill pill. Just let him by or talk to him. Letting other cyclists aggravate you will just aggravate you.

I suspect he was intimidated by your full kit and super ripped physique and was afraid to get in front of you.

fc

· Registered
321 Posts
francois said:
The proper ettiquette is to take a chill pill. Just let him by or talk to him. Letting other cyclists aggravate you will just aggravate you.
Actually, I thought proper etiquette would be to not draft off of someone unless they know and allow you to do that.

But if someone does jump on your tail, I agree with Francois and also agree that if it annoys you - either ask them nicely (so after you take the chill pill) to pull through or to not draft off of you.

· Registered
266 Posts
The rules seem to be a little different on foothill

There are just so many cyclists that people draft without asking all the time. I've looked over my shoulder and found an entire group ride on my wheel. I've sat on the wheel of faster people. Its just how it is. I would rather someone just sit on my wheel than try to take a pull, blow up and make me go around them.

I wish you had been around when I went through there. Francis put a whuppin' on me today and I could have used the pull...

-G

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I agree with everyone who said take a chill pill. If someone on your wheel bothers you, pull off, give them an evil glare if you must, then let them go on their merry way. I get tired of reading about how pissed off people are because some guy sucked their wheel for miles. He did it because you let him do it! Probably because deep down, you enjoyed the fact that you were riding strong enough that someone wanted to suck your wheel. The solution is incredibly simple: Take away your wheel and he can't suck it anymore.

· Registered
1 Posts
Another BS thread. Blasting someone on a forum without knowing the real reason of why he is on your wheel. He might feel he is not strong enough to overtake you. I have no problem whoever is sucking on my wheel. I am out there to ride not to get aggravated on such a small thing. The road is free and it is not like you are racing.

· Registered
534 Posts
If you don't like someone back there, make yourself a sign and state how many feet back you want them. I could care less if someone drafts me. I do it every once in a while too if I get passed by someone you is just slightly faster. Better yet, grow a set and say something to the person next time.

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Dang. I don't care what someone does, really... beyond putting his skewer in my rear wheel or something.

Lighten up a bit. Life is to short to get angry over wheelsuckers.

I'll never draft someone else during a training ride. Chances are their speed(s) won't put me in my zones.... over or under.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I let it go because I didn't want to be "that guy" from "that club" that he would tell people about. Plus, he'll probably be the person who pulls over to help me next time I have a flat and don't have a spare tube.

"Ripped physique," stop it, you'll make me blush! :blush2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.