Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 230 lbs and I am looking for as bulletproof a wheelset as I can get. I don't really care how much it weighs as I don't plan on racing. (Plus heavier wheels make your legs stronger :thumbsup: ) I do almost all of my riding on back roads so pot holes (I try to avoid the big ones) and some rough pavement are going to be seen on a regular basis. I do not want a hub w/ sealed bearings.

I have been looking at Velocity Deep V or Mavic Open Pros w/ Ultegra Hubs. 28 F / 32 R spoke count on the rims.

Also, I'm not sure how much speed goes into wheel choice, but I am def on the slower side. I average between 17-19 mph on my rides.

I'm looking to spend under $300.00.

G

·
I would say you are on the right track. Open Pro's in a 32/32 setup are going to be plenty reliable, I would probably stay with 32 spokes in the front if reliability is your primary concern. 28 doesn't buy you much at all and one of the advantages of wheels with more spokes is that they are easier to ride with a broken/damaged spoke until you get it fixed. I have had 28 spoke wheels and a broken spoke puts the wheel far enough out of true that you may have some rubbing with the frame/fork where as a 32 spoke wheel should only require a bit of brake caliper adjustment.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
DeepV

mjlarocco said:
I am 230 lbs and I am looking for as bulletproof a wheelset as I can get. I don't really care how much it weighs as I don't plan on racing. (Plus heavier wheels make your legs stronger :thumbsup: ) I do almost all of my riding on back roads so pot holes (I try to avoid the big ones) and some rough pavement are going to be seen on a regular basis. I do not want a hub w/ sealed bearings.

I have been looking at Velocity Deep V or Mavic Open Pros w/ Ultegra Hubs. 28 F / 32 R spoke count on the rims.

Also, I'm not sure how much speed goes into wheel choice, but I am def on the slower side. I average between 17-19 mph on my rides.

I'm looking to spend under $300.00.
The DeepV rims are much stronger than OpenPro or Aerohead. At your weight, why not just go 32 front and rear? Not because you need the strength in the front, though the 32 will be laterally stiffer and that may be a benefit if you corner hard. It's just that there's not much point in 28 in the front, and both rims and hubs are easier to come by in 32.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.