Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
cyclocross junkie
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved and am putting together a plan to bike commute at least once per week. It's about 14 miles each way over some smooth roads, bike paths, and bumpy city streets.

I plan on using my pit 'cross bike, a Lemond Poprad, though I want to get some beefier wheels and tires to handle the abuse.

I'm looking for suggestions on a sturdy & CHEAP wheelset and tires that are resistant to puntures.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this as well as any other advice for a first-time commuter.

Dank u wel

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Run what you got.

Nothing cheaper than using what you already own. If you want to invest in other wheels and tires buy some better stuff for your weekend riding.

Commuting isn't near a much fun on crummy stuff.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You got me there.

cbass said:
Well, generally i agree with you, but commuting on tubulars seems kind of silly, especially on the streets of Baltimore.
Tubies don't make much sense for commuting (or anything else anymore if you ask me (which I'll admit you didn't), still I do have fond memories of racing on silks back in the day....).

Cheap wheels???

Round up the usual suspects (on-line retailers, Spring LBS sale, bikes parked around town that aren't locked well etc.).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts