Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I'm assuming is a seized nipple and spoke on a Bonty wheel. This is a cyclocross wheel, so it's seen lots of muck and rain, and when I trued it, the (bladed) spoke kept turning with the nipple. I put a few extra drops of oil on it, tried to loosen it and retighten/true and still not great. Any recommendations as I'm expecting it to unwind at some point and cause a big wobble? Many thanks.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It might be best to take it to a shop you trust, to order a new spoke and nip. When they come in, the old one can be cut out and replaced. Shouldn't cost too much.
I true my bladed wheels by clamping the spoke in a vise grip plier, protected with a rag.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a Mavic tool that is simply a round piece of plastic with various sized slots in it. It holds a bladed spoke to prevent it from rotating when trueing. I'm not aware of Mavic selling the tool individually (it usually comes with their wheelsets) but it has worked quite well for me over the years (I'm a former bicycle mechanic). Here is an E-bay seller who is selling a Mavic kit, which includes this tool.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hayduke1972 said:
I have a Mavic tool that is simply a round piece of plastic with various sized slots in it. It holds a bladed spoke to prevent it from rotating when trueing. I'm not aware of Mavic selling the tool individually (it usually comes with their wheelsets) but it has worked quite well for me over the years (I'm a former bicycle mechanic). Here is an E-bay seller who is selling a Mavic kit, which includes this tool.
Good tip - I actually have that Mavic thingy for my girlfriend's Cross Max's. I was thinking about pliers/wrench, but wanted something less harsh. THis seems like a good place to start. If it doesn't open up, I'll head back to the shop. Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.