Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close is acceptable in truing your rims?

I can get it to where it is pretty good - but not perfect. I can get long rubs but not all the way around. I have a little out of round, but it is minor and nothing you can see with the naked eye - but the truing stands tells me it is there.

Is perfect attainable? How much is error is acceptable ?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I can get within a couple of mm's, laterally.

bas said:

I can get pretty close laterally, hops are another matter. The head wrench at my LBS can get them perfect. I had him build me a good set of wheels and I never have to touch them. He touches them up for me when I have my hubs overhauled about once every quarter. I found that running with 700x25 tires (I ride lousy roads) is easier on your wheel rims...
I've learned to accept a little bit of wobble, if I try to mess with it I usually just make it worse. I've spend hours trying to true a messed up set of wheels, but I don't work on bikes for a living....of course I don't have a real good truing stand, that makes a difference I would think...

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Good enough

bas said:

I can get it to where it is pretty good - but not perfect. I can get long rubs but not all the way around. I have a little out of round, but it is minor and nothing you can see with the naked eye - but the truing stands tells me it is there.

Is perfect attainable? How much is error is acceptable ?
You will hear from people with high precision dial indicators going for pointlessly (IMO) tight tolerances, but this accomplishes nothing. My own "short answer" is that if you need less than 1/4 turn of the spoke nipple to remove the wobble, then there's no point in going farther. In practice, that means a wobble that you can just barely see (or maybe not see) if you're sighting down the rim as it spins.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dinosaur said:
bas said:

I can get pretty close laterally, hops are another matter. The head wrench at my LBS can get them perfect. I had him build me a good set of wheels and I never have to touch them. He touches them up for me when I have my hubs overhauled about once every quarter. I found that running with 700x25 tires (I ride lousy roads) is easier on your wheel rims...
I've learned to accept a little bit of wobble, if I try to mess with it I usually just make it worse. I've spend hours trying to true a messed up set of wheels, but I don't work on bikes for a living....of course I don't have a real good truing stand, that makes a difference I would think...

The bladed spokes are another issue - because I have to turn it past then loosen them to get them straight and not crooked.

I spent about 4 hours on my rear wheel last night..

the Park Tool for dishing really helped out.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I keep mine in the 1/4 to 1/2 mm laterally and radially. Sometimes a little file work is needed at the rim joint to get below 1/2 mm. I'm a little bit anal and tolerences this close are not really needed. 1 mm is about the most I would tolerate.

Al

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Personally, .5 - 1mm.

Any more is un-noticeable on the bike. Yer chasing less and less returns with more and more effort past that.

My $.02

M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts