Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Scott Speedster S30 that I use for cross training for motocross. I've heard the wheels on this bike are very suspect, so I'm looking to upgrade them to something stronger and hopefully rolls better. I'm 6'1 and 205 lbs, so strength is a concern, and I'm hoping to spend under $500, as I bought the bike on sale for $900. All my training partners are on bikes from $3,000 all the way up to $8,000 so I need every ounce of help I can get to not get dropped from the pack!

I've been looking at the Easton EA50's because I am familiar with the Easton brand, but I truely don't know what to consider when deciding on wheels.

So, if anyone could help lead me in the right direction toward an affordable wheelset to help me glide confidently across the desert here in Phoenix, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 2007 Speedster S30, am about 200 lbs, and consider myself a fairly powerful climber/sprinter. I chucked the stock Alexrims for a brand-spanking-new set of Shimano RS-10s that were almost free. I only have one ride on those, so I really can't vouch for them yet. The Alexrims never let me down, but most people seem to hate them for one reason or another. For me they always stayed true despite my poor piloting!

That being said, I have a set of Neuvation M28 Aeros on my LeMond and love the crap out of them. I have about 1500 miles on them and have no complaints. They were recommended by a fellow Clyde at work (he's about 215) who's put a bunch of miles on his with no complaints. Best part is that the full wheel set was less than $300 (if I recall...). They're not flashy or famous, but they work well here!

Good luck with your training and give 'em hell on the dirt!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 2007 Speedster S30, am about 200 lbs, and consider myself a fairly powerful climber/sprinter. I chucked the stock Alexrims for a brand-spanking-new set of Shimano RS-10s that were almost free. I only have one ride on those, so I really can't vouch for them yet. The Alexrims never let me down, but most people seem to hate them for one reason or another. For me they always stayed true despite my poor piloting!

That being said, I have a set of Neuvation M28 Aeros on my LeMond and love the crap out of them. I have about 1500 miles on them and have no complaints. They were recommended by a fellow Clyde at work (he's about 215) who's put a bunch of miles on his with no complaints. Best part is that the full wheel set was less than $300 (if I recall...). They're not flashy or famous, but they work well here!

Good luck with your training and give 'em hell on the dirt!
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was beginning to think I had bad breath or something.

I've been looking into the m28's and they're looking like a very viable option. They are at $259 on their site right now, which is much less than I was expecting to spend.

If I were to purchase these, do I need a new cassette and chain? I only have about 500 miles on the bike so it shouldn't be worn, but maybe there is an advantage to a different cassette. Also, what tires do you reccomend? I'm definitely new to the scene.

Thanks!
Kyle

·
Registered
7 Posts
No worries! Forums have helped me a lot over the years. Great place for us to share experience!

You can use the old cassette and chain if they're in good shape (which should be the case with your low miles). Remember that if you do decide to change one, you should change the other or the chain may "hunt" around on the sprockets.

As for tires, my favorites for reliability are Schwalbe Duranos. They are pretty expensive and don't have race-tire grip, but they're super tough and last a long time. Lots of people also like Continental Gator Skins, which are much less expensive. For a "racier" tire, I've used Michelin Pro3 Service Course tires and loved them. From what I hear, the Pro4 is even better. These will have a ton more grip and roll a little better, but are more flat-prone and wear out faster.

If you're using this bike for exercise, I would suggest focusing on durability over performance. This way you'll waste less time fixing flats and drunkenly weaving around to avoid gravel and spend more time riding! Hopefully someone else will chime-in with Gator Skin experience to balance my pro-Durano stance! A couple guys I know refuse to ride anything but Gator Skins, so they can't be bad.

One last thing to consider: when I bought my Neuvations they had an offer that included Michelin Lithion2 tires and tubes. If they still have that deal going on, I'd grab those. They're somewhere between the Duranos and Pro3s for toughness, but for the Neuvation price are hard to beat!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Great info, thank you! One last question, on the m28 Aero's, its a 20H/24H combo, is that going to hold up to the rough road at my weight with little trouble?
I wouldn't touch low-spoke wheels for your weight and "rough roads". What Vagabon said or go to their "Rider Weight" page -

Road 191 - 215

Their Pure Race would be great for you -

PURE Race

Make sure you use good quality 25mm wide tires with proper pressures - 90-100psi max.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get something like these Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Mavic CXP33 laced to Shimano Ultegra hubs. They're not super light, but they are durable. They'll run you $384 or so. Or get these for about $404 with Ultegra hubs. Again, not super light, but a bit more aero and they're durable.
Those look to be right up my alley. What makes the Shimano Ultegra the right hubs for me? Also, how long does it take for them to lace up a set and ship it out? I appreciate the info very much.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Those look to be right up my alley. What makes the Shimano Ultegra the right hubs for me? Also, how long does it take for them to lace up a set and ship it out? I appreciate the info very much.
They're better than what you have and Shimano makes really nice hubs. You could also go for the 105 hubs, but you'll pay a slight weight penalty. Shimano hubs aren't the lightest nor the sexiest, but they're durable and roll very smoothly. They're ride and forget hubs. In terms of durability and smoothness, they're what other hubs aspire to be (except Campy hubs of course).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're better than what you have and Shimano makes really nice hubs. You could also go for the 105 hubs, but you'll pay a slight weight penalty. Shimano hubs aren't the lightest nor the sexiest, but they're durable and roll very smoothly. They're ride and forget hubs. In terms of durability and smoothness, they're what other hubs aspire to be (except Campy hubs of course).
Thanks for clarifying. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger tonight on the Pure Aero laced to the Ultegra's. I assume I want the strength spokes, and are brass or alloy spokes more durable? And should I re-use my old cassette? Thanks again!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger tonight on the Pure Aero laced to the Ultegra's. I assume I want the strength spokes, and are brass or alloy spokes more durable? And should I re-use my old cassette? Thanks again!
Brass nipples. Go with the brass nipples.

Not sure what the difference between the Strength and the Performance are, but either should be fine. I'm thinking the Performance are butted spokes and they'll ride a little nicer.

You or your LBS can swap out your cassette; it's a five minute job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brass nipples. Go with the brass nipples.

Not sure what the difference between the Strength and the Performance are, but either should be fine. I'm thinking the Performance are butted spokes and they'll ride a little nicer.

You or your LBS can swap out your cassette; it's a five minute job.
10-4, I'm taking your word and pulling the trigger as we speak. I appreciate all your input and help. One last question, Michelin Pro 4 Service Course 700x25's the right tire for me?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.