Trail: 56.9mm
Fork offset: 50mm

I'm looking into buying a used cross bike with these dimensions:

Standover height: 74.4cm
Top tube: 51.5cm
Wheelbase: 97.8cm
Trail: 64.7mm
Fork offset: 45mm

My current road bike takes 700c wheels, while the cross bike is built to take MTB 26" wheels. I'm planning on building the cross as a fixed gear bike. My concern is with the wheelbase and trail differences. Are they significant, and if so, how will I notice them? I'm not able to try to the cross out, so I'll have to go on numbers.

Thanks for your input.
JP

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
With a longer wheelbase and more trail the bike should feel more stable. If every thing else was the same (tire, wheels, frame stiffness, etc.) the cross bike would ride slightly smoother (mostly from the wheelbase) and would be easier to ride in a straight line (from both the wheelbase and trail).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Trail, and cross-bike as fixed gear

As Stogaguy has said, the longer trail and longer wheelbase will make the cross bike more stable, which, depending on your riding style and prior riding expereiences, may manifest itself by handling feeling more "sluggish". Most cyclocross bikes have more trail than road bikes, so maybe a quick test ride on another cyclocross bike will tell you if the handing and steering feel to sluggish.

But another big question comes to mind: What kind of dropouts does the bike have? When you say the new bike is a "cross" bike, do you mean it is a cyclocross bike, or a that it is a "hybrid" (sometimes called "cross" bikes, as they are sold as "cross-training" bikes)? In any case, most cyclocross bikes (and I assume most hybrid bikes as well) use vertical dropouts, whereas horizontal dropouts are virtually required for fixed gears. Unless maybe you meant single speed instead of fixed gear? Single speeds can use vertical dropouts, as long as they have some type of chain tensioning device on the bottom run of chain.

·
IndyFab girl
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark McM said:
What kind of dropouts does the bike have? Unless maybe you meant single speed instead of fixed gear? Single speeds can use vertical dropouts, as long as they have some type of chain tensioning device on the bottom run of chain.
It was a custom 'cross bike with vertical dropouts. I was going to use the Eccentric Eno hub to convert it to fixed. Well, turns out I didn't get the frame, so I'm still looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts