Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been in an official "race." However I do ride in group rides that are supposedly like races: 30mph, jumping sprinting dust flying people cussing and adrenaline everywhere and pushing yourself to the brink of puking and passing out. Most fun I ever had - motivation to enter a real race.

The question: I am wanting to buy the Mavic Cosmic Carbones. For the aero advantage. I am new to cycling and understand that real "racers"...."scoff at you" if you ride said wheels in anything other than an "official race." Why? If they provide an advantage and you want to go fast why is there this aspect of the cycling culture??? Every rider in this aggressive group ride i do, has ksyrium wheels. I thought these were "race" wheels. But a friend said "dont ride carbones in this ride people will talk about you and make fun of you." Well my question is why. and my answer is i dont care, because i have now had four michelob ultras, and if they can give me an advantage i will ride them, and anyone who wants to make jokes can eat my dust! HA!

seriously what is the cycling culture thing with you arent supposed to have these wheels unless it is an official race??

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
The reason is that fancy carbon wheels can break, and the more you ride them, the more likely it is to happen.

Riding them on a group ride serves no purpose besides you beating everyone on a group ride. Beating people in a race can hold monetary value, but is otherwise not very different.

Maybe the real question is, why do people need such fancy equipment for races?

Silas

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
cstx said:
I have never been in an official "race." However I do ride in group rides that are supposedly like races: 30mph, jumping sprinting dust flying people cussing and adrenaline everywhere and pushing yourself to the brink of puking and passing out. Most fun I ever had - motivation to enter a real race.

The question: I am wanting to buy the Mavic Cosmic Carbones. For the aero advantage. I am new to cycling and understand that real "racers"...."scoff at you" if you ride said wheels in anything other than an "official race." Why? If they provide an advantage and you want to go fast why is there this aspect of the cycling culture??? Every rider in this aggressive group ride i do, has ksyrium wheels. I thought these were "race" wheels. But a friend said "dont ride carbones in this ride people will talk about you and make fun of you." Well my question is why. and my answer is i dont care, because i have now had four michelob ultras, and if they can give me an advantage i will ride them, and anyone who wants to make jokes can eat my dust! HA!

seriously what is the cycling culture thing with you arent supposed to have these wheels unless it is an official race??
Buy and ride whatever makes you happy.

The Mavics are nice at speed too. Bit pricey for what you get though.

Still, got the cash? Then go for it.

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you will be ok with riding carbones on a group ride because they are (as far as I know) aluminum wheels with carbon fiber fairings. If you buy some solid carbon wheels like reynolds or zipp tubulars or even the new tubular carbones, you will wear out your wheels on group rides like Silas pointed out. I think the clincher carbones will be plenty durable though.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
cstx said:
because i have now had four michelob ultras,
seriously what is the cycling culture thing
you are far more likely to be made fun of by the drinking culture for the above statement(s). ultra? go high test. you're burning the calories. four? not enough "winter training," eh?

hehe. ride (and drink) whatever you want. just strive to ride (and drink) more...;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
SilasCL said:
The reason is that fancy carbon wheels can break, and the more you ride them, the more likely it is to happen.

Riding them on a group ride serves no purpose besides you beating everyone on a group ride. Beating people in a race can hold monetary value, but is otherwise not very different.

Maybe the real question is, why do people need such fancy equipment for races?

Silas
No, the real question is... why the hell is he drinking Michelob Ultra? ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts