Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got my Troy-built wheelset. And let me tell you......I'm mighty disappointed: the wheelset is a real dog. Check it out: pic of the weight and a pic of the wheelset.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I changed the lighting and shot from a different angle, the wheels looked much better. Here's the front, front hub, and weight of der front wheel.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the rear, rear hub, and rear weight. I haven't put the wheels on the road, yet. Tomorrow I'll put 70 miles or so on 'em, BUT they're looking pretty damned fine right now. Weight for the set is 1380g, 150g less than the Bontrager Race X Lites. Installed they spin truer than Jackie O ever was with JFK. Piccies with my crappy digital camera don't do 'em justice. The anodizing on the hubs shines nicely, and the hubs look criminally sexy. The decals on the rims are appropriately small and not garrish. Still, I'll prolly remove 'em at some point.

So far I'm giving Troy a 9 out of 10, the best that anyone can do (Only Mila Jovovich is capable of scoring a 10 out of 10, and if you ever saw her in The Fifth Element, you'd know from whence I speak.).

Props to Troy for dealing with my impatience and being an all around good Joe.

·
T.R., conservationist
239 Posts
Good job, Ligero

Great stuff, A.
Beautiful wheels, something unique, and at 1380gm they should climb like crazy. Good job.
Post a picture of them on your bike when you post the ride report, please.

How long did shipping take for your wheels to arrive? I also have wheels built by Ligero that are supposed to be here this Thursday. Specifically, Niobium 30mm rims, White Ind hubs anodized laquer black, and the new blue colored Ti alloy Pillar spokes, 20/24 build. Should make for a great look on my blue and white bike and at ~1365gm will be a lightweight, low spoke count, 30mm rim that will be great for all around riding. And priced ~40% less than than what I would have paid for the other wheels I was looking at, plus no one else around here has these.

And I second you're a nut, but at least you changed your avatar!
Jerry

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
jerman said:
Great stuff, A.
Beautiful wheels, something unique, and at 1380gm they should climb like crazy. Good job.
Post a picture of them on your bike when you post the ride report, please.

How long did shipping take for your wheels to arrive? I also have wheels built by Ligero that are supposed to be here this Thursday. Specifically, Niobium 30mm rims, White Ind hubs anodized laquer black, and the new blue colored Ti alloy Pillar spokes, 20/24 build. Should make for a great look on my blue and white bike and at ~1365gm will be a lightweight, low spoke count, 30mm rim that will be great for all around riding. And priced ~40% less than than what I would have paid for the other wheels I was looking at, plus no one else around here has these.

And I second you're a nut, but at least you changed your avatar!
Jerry
Yours were right next to Alienator's wheels when I was at Troy's week before last. He is very busy now knitting me a bike bag!

Alienator, very sweet! Ride them for many smiles! That 70 will help to blow all the @[email protected]# out of your lungs.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
It's about friggin time!

Yes Alien,
It's a bigger crime to have Bontragers on a Moots than it is Dura Ace! Question for you Bra? Why the Dentonaters? I thought you were going to run GP 4000? Can't wait to see them with the Dracula's and all gussied up! :D

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Juanmoretime said:
Yours were right next to Alienator's wheels when I was at Troy's week before last. He is very busy now knitting me a bike bag!

Alienator, very sweet! Ride them for many smiles! That 70 will help to blow all the @[email protected]# out of your lungs.
Well, green **** must have sucker punched me in the middle of the night, cuz when I got up to get ready for der ride, I felt like I had lead weights in my lungs. A couple hits on the daughter's inhalers didn't help, and when I was outta breath after coming up the stairs from the car, I packed it in. No ride for me. I did get up a few hours later, though, and took my wife and daughter to the ride, so's they could do the kids' 4 mile fun ride.

I hated everyone that I saw riding.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Yes Alien,
It's a bigger crime to have Bontragers on a Moots than it is Dura Ace! Question for you Bra? Why the Dentonaters? I thought you were going to run GP 4000? Can't wait to see them with the Dracula's and all gussied up! :D
Why? Well, it goes like this.....

In the first 3 rides on the Conti's I got two flats. One was a puncture through a sidewall (and that sidewall puncture later expanded to a 1/4" gash through the sidewall on the following ride.), and the other was right throught the tread and vectran belt, caused by the tiniest piece of glass. So my confidence in the Contis is less than high. They're now in my pile of spare tires.

The Detonators are a test, based on the word of some other cyclists. They're 25's, but they only weigh 'bout what Mich. Carbons do. I'd used Maxxis Hors Categorie tires in the past, and they were as durable as Mich Carbons but much better in the wet. So now I'm gonna work my way through some of the Maxxis line....ok....well, after the Detonators are done...or have a few thousand miles on 'em....I'm gonna give their Courchevel's a try.

Right now I like the Detonators. Sure they're not lightweight, but I like the way they feel. And what with them being 25's being inflated by moi to 100psi, they're a little more comfy than the 23's I've run. They're a doddle to mount.

According to the LBS, the Autoclavers are past 1/2 done, so I can soon be rid of the FSA cranks. Thank, Mila for that. The only thing nearly as bad as Shimano or Bontrager on a Moots is FSA offal.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am happy to see that you got them and that the dog made it Ok in the box from Tenn. to Arizona. You will also be happy to see that I finished your second pair of wheels and they should be to you by midweek with the matching sweater I knitted.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ligero said:
I am happy to see that you got them and that the dog made it Ok in the box from Tenn. to Arizona. You will also be happy to see that I finished your second pair of wheels and they should be to you by midweek with the matching sweater I knitted.
Wow those ARE pink, aren't they? I hope that matches the pink Rust-Oleum I bought to paint my Moots with.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Ligero said:
What, no pink nipples!! You weren't kidding. Those are REAL pink.
Nice work,
Eric

·
Registered
838 Posts
ergott said:
What, no pink nipples!! You weren't kidding. Those are REAL pink.
Nice work,
Eric
I thought about using pink nipples but for some reason it seemed to be over the top. Not that the hot pink or the pink rims aren't all ready over the top.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
ouch,

alienator said:
Why? Well, it goes like this.....

In the first 3 rides on the Conti's I got two flats. One was a puncture through a sidewall (and that sidewall puncture later expanded to a 1/4" gash through the sidewall on the following ride.), and the other was right throught the tread and vectran belt, caused by the tiniest piece of glass. So my confidence in the Contis is less than high. They're now in my pile of spare tires.

The Detonators are a test, based on the word of some other cyclists. They're 25's, but they only weigh 'bout what Mich. Carbons do. I'd used Maxxis Hors Categorie tires in the past, and they were as durable as Mich Carbons but much better in the wet. So now I'm gonna work my way through some of the Maxxis line....ok....well, after the Detonators are done...or have a few thousand miles on 'em....I'm gonna give their Courchevel's a try.

Right now I like the Detonators. Sure they're not lightweight, but I like the way they feel. And what with them being 25's being inflated by moi to 100psi, they're a little more comfy than the 23's I've run. They're a doddle to mount.

According to the LBS, the Autoclavers are past 1/2 done, so I can soon be rid of the FSA cranks. Thank, Mila for that. The only thing nearly as bad as Shimano or Bontrager on a Moots is FSA offal.
Now yur tellin me I gotta git rid of me FSA cranks and me DA? Why I might as well tear her down and start over! I reckin' after I finish me crosser that Ligero is buildin me wheels for I'll have to give me Moots some luv. But no Dracula's, I'm tinkin bout sum of those them there Zipp 300 cranks, yes sir.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.