Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through older threads but didn't really find an answer...

I have recently started riding again. I used to (4-5 years ago) ride pretty frequently. 200 miles a week or so. I've always been a clydesdale, but was getting pretty close to 200 pounds.

Anyways, fast forward to today.... after a knee injury, new job, new baby, and a lot of other things going on, I've gained weight up to around 285. It's time to stop that, but I'm not sure my wheels (Mavic Kysrium 24/20 I think) are up to the task. So I'm thinking about a set of 32 spoke wheels so I won't have to worry about them. I hope that before long I can get back on my old wheels, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on a handbuilt set of wheels if I don't have to. Are there any good prebuilt 32h wheelsets out there? I need something in Shimano 10sp and for rim brakes.

If I have to get handbuilt wheels to get the strength and durability I need then I will, but I'm hoping these won't be under me that long, so I'm trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible without buying junk.

Thanks in advance for any help...

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,786 Posts
How quickly do you plan on losing 80+ lbs? Remember that most people think losing more than 1 lb / week is unhealthy. That's 1.5 yrs right there.

Big rims, lots of spokes (32 min depending on how/where you ride) and big tires. Handmade for sure or you spend money on maintenance all the time.

·
Registered
24,460 Posts
Here you go. No need to go pre-built. You can get quality hand built for probably less than a pre-built wheelset.

$250-$350 depending on hubs. 32 or 36 spokes.
Pure Commuter HD + Shimano 700c Wheel Set
The Pure Clyde Commuter is one of our strongest and most comfortable commuters. This wheel set is the perfect choice for heavier riders looking to log commuter miles.

$149.00 - $177.00. 32 spokes
Pure Commuter Wheel Set

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm not sure. How quickly would I like to? ASAP. I honestly don't have a timeframe. I just want it to start going down, not up. I was riding my Mavics at 240 and had zero problems, but I know I was just pushing my luck.

I tend to lose weight pretty fast at first when I start trying to do so. I'm sure a lot of people are like that. But I'm not in a huge hurry. The last set of wheels I bought were probably 7 or 8 years ago. So I'd like to get a couple years out of whatever I buy.

So if going handmade is the best solution, what should I be looking at? I've been out of it for a while so I don't know if there are any new brands out there worth looking at or stick with the old tried and true brands.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here you go. No need to go pre-built. You can get quality hand built for probably less than a pre-built wheelset.

$250-$350 depending on hubs. 32 or 36 spokes.
Pure Commuter HD + Shimano 700c Wheel Set
The Pure Clyde Commuter is one of our strongest and most comfortable commuters. This wheel set is the perfect choice for heavier riders looking to log commuter miles.

$149.00 - $177.00. 32 spokes
Pure Commuter Wheel Set
Thanks. I'll take a look at those.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
FYI this thread has been discussed 5 times in the past 5-6 months on this forum. Use the search tool and you'll find plenty of opinions at varying price points.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

·
Registered
27,608 Posts
Well, I'm not sure. How quickly would I like to? ASAP. I honestly don't have a timeframe. I just want it to start going down, not up. I was riding my Mavics at 240 and had zero problems, but I know I was just pushing my luck.

I tend to lose weight pretty fast at first when I start trying to do so. I'm sure a lot of people are like that. But I'm not in a huge hurry. The last set of wheels I bought were probably 7 or 8 years ago. So I'd like to get a couple years out of whatever I buy.

So if going handmade is the best solution, what should I be looking at? I've been out of it for a while so I don't know if there are any new brands out there worth looking at or stick with the old tried and true brands.
Look for aluminum alloy rims with brass eyelets around the spoke holes. Without these eyelets, the holes often start cracking and the spokes come loose.

For over 200 pounds, I'd go for 36 spokes, cross 3. Hand built will ensure all spokes are equally tensioned, the key to holding the wheel true and making it last long.

Get one of these "wide" rims for more, ahem, comfort and predictable handling. Specify 14 ga. stainless spokes with brass nipples, although some wheel builders will tell you 15 ga. is just as strong, maybe 14 ga. in back and 15 ga. in front. Use 'em with 28 mm tires for sure, going to 25s as the load lightens up.

Stay away from sealed cartridge bearings in favor of old style cup and cone. They're more maintainable. Unless, of course, Phil Wood. These hubs are bullet proof, by all accounts and will go forever. Ultegra would also be a nice hub, readily available on after market wheels. A builder won't give you a POS if he cars about his rep, though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
It's not clear to me why you think the Mavics would be unsuitable for you NOW.

I feel your best bet is to fit the largest tires you can on the Mavic wheels and use them as-is. You'll never know how long they'll last if you don't try them.

Save the money.

However, if you MUST buy new wheels, just ask your local shop to order a set of pre-built generic 32 or 36 hole wheels from their QBP catalog. Ask for Dimension or Handspun brands. These wheels are just placeholders until you get your weight down and you'll appreciate they're less expensive; you won't mind abusing them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I feel your best bet is to fit the largest tires you can on the Mavic wheels and use them as-is. You'll never know how long they'll last if you don't try them.

Save the money.

However, if you MUST buy new wheels, just ask your local shop to order a set of pre-built generic 32 or 36 hole wheels from their QBP catalog. Ask for Dimension or Handspun brands. These wheels are just placeholders until you get your weight down and you'll appreciate they're less expensive; you won't mind abusing them.
I was told by Mavic the limit was 225#. At 60 over that I'm afraid I'd be pushing my luck.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Stay away from sealed cartridge bearings in favor of old style cup and cone. They're more maintainable. Unless, of course, Phil Wood. These hubs are bullet proof, by all accounts and will go forever. Ultegra would also be a nice hub, readily available on after market wheels. A builder won't give you a POS if he cars about his rep, though.
Why wouldn't high quality cartridge bearings work well? They are easily replaceable in most hubs so I don't see the issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Save the money.
At his current weight 20/24 should not even be a consideration. I would not consider anything short of 32/32 and would even maybe suggest 32/36. This is a case of nothing to be gained by cheaping out on the amount of spokes and pretty much everything to loose.

As tlg said, you can't go wrong with that wheelset. I have a pair of the Pure Aero with a 32/32 count and they are very well built and bomb proof.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Put the Mavics on Ebay and get some good 32 spoke wheels. Even best case scenario with weight loss the Mavics will still suck and 32 spokes, made well, will still be a good set of wheels.

I weight 145 and 32 spokes definitely does not slow me down compared to my 24/20 set.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Put the Mavics on Ebay and get some good 32 spoke wheels. Even best case scenario with weight loss the Mavics will still suck and 32 spokes, made well, will still be a good set of wheels.

I weight 145 and 32 spokes definitely does not slow me down compared to my 24/20 set.
I don't know. I've put probably 4000 miles on this set and at least half that on another set. Zero problems. I'm never going to be fast no matter what I do though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.