Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering new wheels for my Gunnar. I was thinking Velocity Aerohead, White Industry H2 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I weigh 140 and want these wheels to be for everything, potholed training rides, a century or two and maybe a race or two.

Will these be light? What will they cost?

·
Registered
929 Posts
ox_rider said:
I am considering new wheels for my Gunnar. I was thinking Velocity Aerohead, White Industry H2 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I weigh 140 and want these wheels to be for everything, potholed training rides, a century or two and maybe a race or two.

Those sound like good all around wheels and probably a pretty popular combination. With your weight, you could get away from have a high spoke count and run with a 20/24 and they should withstand the abuse. Weight would probably be sub 1500 grams and cost could range from $500 to $800 depending on the builder.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the huge range of cost?

bwhite_4 said:
Those sound like good all around wheels and probably a pretty popular combination. With your weight, you could get away from have a high spoke count and run with a 20/24 and they should withstand the abuse. Weight would probably be sub 1500 grams and cost could range from $500 to $800 depending on the builder.
$300 seems like a big spread in cost. Is there really that much difference in builder costs?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Should be around 1415-1450 grams without rim strip/plugs or skewers (assuming 28holes+alloy nipples). Probably closer to $750-$850 (maybe more), $500 would be an amazing price on something with those specs, retail on parts alone is around $650

The price goes down a bit with non bladed spokes, around $100 depending on which spokes.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Definitely a lot of $$ to be saved in spokes - a 2.0/1.8 DB spoke tends to retail (online) for something like $0.75, whereas CX-Rays are more like $3.00.

Might be able to save a little cash by going to one of the Kinlin "Niobium" rims, rather than velocitys.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Contact the wheelbuilders....

Here's a list

whitemountainwheels.com
ligerowheels.com
wheelfineimports.com
paradigmcycles.com
peterwhitecycles.com

All are quality builders that specialize in quality components. White Mountain gets an occasional mention in this forum (favorable.) Ligero posts regularly on the forum. Wheelfine is a full line shop with expert wheelbuilding capabilities. Paradigm builds race and other purpose wheels and Peter White caters pretty exclusively to the randonneuring set (who spend money but tend to value durability over light weight.)

My advice is to tell them your objectives without suggesting any components and then ask detailed questions.

Apologies to others I didn't include in the list.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I went first to Wheelfine and found this:

DT Swiss 240 hubs - radial specific front
DT RR 1.1 clincher rims in black or silver
DT aero-lite spokes with 7000 series custom alloy nipples (hurry only 1600 nipples left)
radial pattern with 2x on the non-drive side

Isn't this just the Swiss Threat that Excel sells? What is the strength and durability of this wheelset? Is it a good alternative to what I first proprosed (Velocity, WI, Sapim)?

I am new at this wheel stuff and don't anticipate using multiple wheelsets.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
ox_rider said:

I've got similar wheels, only with Dura Ace hubs. At your weight, they should be quite durable. I also have a pair of the Nio30 rims with CX-Ray and Dura Ace hubs. They are are the harsh side, I guess due to the deeper rim. I'm 185 and went with 28/24. You could probably get away with 24/20 easily.

Weight for both pairs is in the 1500ish range. There's not that much difference. Nios seem to be close to 455g each as advertised, Aeroheads are a little heavier than advertised and come close to 900g for a pair.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Wheelfine is a good choice...

and Mike Johnson has forgotten more about wheelbuilding than I'll ever know. Frankly, given the same materials, e.g. aluminum alloy, steel spokes, aluminum alloy hubs (I do like the titanium carrier though), the differences among all the possible combinations are going to be slight.

I trust Mike competely.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Subtle differences

KeeponTrekkin said:
and Mike Johnson has forgotten more about wheelbuilding than I'll ever know. Frankly, given the same materials, e.g. aluminum alloy, steel spokes, aluminum alloy hubs (I do like the titanium carrier though), the differences among all the possible combinations are going to be slight.

I trust Mike competely.
I don't think you can say that on this board. The whole point of the board, as I see it, is for people to take sides on nuances and combinations that others of us have no knowledge of.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Swiss Threat

ox_rider said:
Isn't this just the Swiss Threat that Excel sells? What is the strength and durability of this wheelset?
I just got a pair of the Swiss Threats a couple of months ago. Only change I made to Excel's set up was to go with 14/15 db spokes on the drive side. Probably have about a 1,000 miles on these so far and they are still nice and true. Quick turnaround on the build too. 155# rider, Ti bike, training miles on paved Indiana roads following a rough winter of freeze and thaw. Happy so far and plan to use these as my all around wheels for a few years.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Didn't mean that there were no differences...

ox_rider said:
I don't think you can say that on this board. The whole point of the board, as I see it, is for people to take sides on nuances and combinations that others of us have no knowledge of.
Just that, the real differences, when considered in the context of the bicycle and rider are small. You're looking at quality stuff and I believe that there's no bad choice, just subtle tradeoffs (e.g. weight vs. durability or strength) which, for the most part, even with all the help & experience of the board, are very difficult to evaluate objectively.

Experience is one of the reasons I like Mike. He builds the wheels himself, he sees how his wheels perform and he sees broken stuff people bring to him. He spent 10(?) years as a grand tour mechanic building and servicing a lot of light wheels. He'll also give you a straight answer as to the differences between components.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wheel search continues. Had a nice email exchange with a known builder and dissovered that my combination of choice can be had for $900. That is nearly equal amounts labor and parts. I know from my search that isn't typical. Have others seen this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, for laughs I went into the LBS to talk wheels and was told that the only way to get stiffer wheels was to go pre-built and that a different build on Velocity Aerohead rims (different hubs, fewer spokes than my 36 3x build) will ride the same because it's the same rim.

Is this true?

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
My guess....

The wheel is a system with a rim supported by spokes so as long as there were enough spokes to support the rim, I guess that the ride characteristics would not be that different, a long as the build was reasonable, given your weight and riding characteristics, e.g. it would be very hard to detect a ride difference between 32 and 36 spoke builds or 28 & 32.

I think you would see more differences over time, e.g. the lower spoke count build would need truing earlier and would be more likely to break spokes or develop cracks in the rim.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.