Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my frame has been ordered, I'm starting to plan out my Milwaukee build. I think the wheelset comes first -

I'm sure some of you may have experience w/these?

PIC: https://www.irocycle.com/imagelib/irowheel.jpg

INFO: https://www.irocycle.com/wheels.html

I'm not too keen on the 'no name' rims (XL-240's?!), but know Formula/IRO hubs have a good rep. They look really nice and seem very reasonably priced, too. I wonder if they're avail with a fixed/fixed hub?

Thanks,

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
The hubs are good value. I don't know about those rims, either but the Velocity Aerohead rims couldn't stand up to a little freeride. I mean, really, shouldn't a road/track racing rim be able to hold up to a 2 foot drop a couple dozen times? Fine for everyday use, though. If you're into wheelbuilding, you can build a set for under $100, just look around for rims. (pricepoint, maybe)

·
Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
Why are you not getting wheels from Ben's too? They have a lot more variety available, more choices of combinations of components. You might have to bring them up to tension and stress-relieve them, but I think they are a better value than the ones from IRO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just bought a set of IRO fixed/fixed hubs and Mavic hoops from Harris cyclery. The hubs were $75 for the set. I will let you know how they turn out. If the darned UPS guy had come today I would be lacing them right now.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might still buy the wheelset from Ben's too. I just know the Formula hubs are supposed to be pretty good and I'm not sure if Ben's offers those - ** just checked and they DO! ** Then again, I like the Surly hubs too...and they definitely offer a fixed/fixed. What are the pros/cons of Formula vs. Surly track hubs?

Thanks,

·
Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
The wheels I got from Ben's on my Milwaukee are black formula (fixed / ss flip flop) with Wheelsmith spokes and Velocity Fusion rims. Good wheels. I did have to bring them up to tension and stress relieve them, but I think they'll be fine for a long time now.

As for Formula vs Surly? I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Formula makes the hubs for Surly. I don't know that, but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think Surly is anything but a marketing company, I don't think they actually *make* anything.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Not to jib too much but you wanted a bike with soul... you have the frame now why cop out now? I say go with either

A) Phils or Pauls, both made in USA to ditto the frame and will last FOREVER
B) Miche Primatos... cartridge bearing reliability but they're Italian.

For the rims you could go fancy and go with something from FIR or just stuck to the tried and true Velocities.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, you're right. I do want a unique bike w/some soul. I think a custom built Milwaukee fits the bill, but you're right - maybe I should go higher end re: hubs. After all, I'm going w/a King headset. Hmm...I know the Phil hubs are expensive, but how expensive? Time for me to find out... ** $316 msrp kinda hurts considering the frameset was only $520, although now I see worldclasscycles has the pair for $275***. Hmm... Oh, and the rims...yeah, I'll probably go w/Velocity's. Thanks for providing your 0.2 cents.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
FWIW, I've been riding the hell out of my Surly hubs (laced to Salsa Delgaodo Cross rims), and both have been trouble-free. Don't know much about "soul," but I do know a good value when I see it.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'm not too worried about 'soul', as I think a custom built Milwaukee will have way more soul than my 1st fixie - an out of the box Fuji Track.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Bikeman.com has Pauls for $208 for the pair, I found this out after buying mine from Paul direct for quite a bit more... Just make sure to use a road crank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts