Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Unless the Shimano hub is 11-speed compatible, it will not have sufficient freehub space to accommodate an 11-speed cassette, without interference at the hub flange and/or lockring end.

There is an important dimensional difference between Shimano hubs and generic hubs with Shimano compatible freehubs.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
It might have been better to ask Wheels. I find their description confusing

11 SPEED SHIFTING

Install 11 Shimano cogs on Shimano compatible freehub body for use with 11 speed Campagnolo shifters
Reliable Shimano ramping for excellent shifting
All wheelset-compatible with the exception of Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra factory wheelsets (not hubs laced on standard rims), and Chris King.

Installation
as in WTH would the rims make any difference?

It's Shimano hub dimensions that are the problem.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The factory built wheels with 7850 hubs use straight pull spokes and have a different flange configuration than the regular 7850 hubs. The 7850 hubs were a modification to the 7800 Dura Ace hub which only took DA cassettes. The 7850 uses the older DA freehub style which takes 8/9/10 speed. The Wheels website isn't clear as you pointed out and they haven't responded to my question.
I guess I will have to try it out. A $150 cassette is still cheaper than more rear wheels.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
This issue was discussed endlessly when Shimano came out with 11-speed (catching up with Campy again :) ).

Seriously, if Shimano could have fitted 11 speeds on their 10-speed hubs, don't you think they would have done it?

Google will help.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
@big, is your hub an actual Shimano branded 10-speed, or something else?

Run 11-speed Campagnolo spacing on Shimano 8/9/10-speed compatible wheelsets.
Once again, in hubs there is a critical difference between "Shimano" and "Shimano compatible".

From Excel Sports description:

Please note: this will not work on Chris King hubs or other aftermarket hubs with unusually high or low flanges. Also will not work on Shimano 10-speed only hubs or wheels.
Wheels Manufacturing 11 Speed Cassette - Cassettes - Excel Sports

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
@big, is your hub an actual Shimano branded 10

I ran their 10 speed campy spaced cassettes on a Phil Wood and a 7400 DA hub. They use 105 or Ultegra cogs with different spacers so they won't fit on a 10 speed specific (Dura Ace) hub that was made for a few years. That has to do with the splines on the freehub. A regular shimano 8-10 freehub will work with one of their hubs as long as there isn't interference with the hub flange.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just finished installing DA 9000 on my bike including DA hubs. I had a pair of DA7850
10-speed hubs laced to HED Belgiums that I wanted to use. Since the the Wheels Mfg. website said get Campy 11 speed on Shimano and Leonard Zinn said in Velonews that all 11-speeds (Campy, Shimano, SRAM) are compatible, I thought this should work. It does. The Wheels Accelerator 11 speed conversion cassette changed my DA 7850 10 speed hub to 11 speed. There is no need for any adjustment when switching wheels. I did use 2 of the included .3 mm spacers to get the spacing just right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.