Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my Giant Defy 3 advanced for 3 seasons now - bought when I first started riding and fell in love with the sport and my bike.
It is pretty much stock with the exception of a stages power meter and a garmin 810.
I also use some Fulcrum Quartos as my primary wheel set and my giants are a back or set up for the trainer.

I have been playing around with the idea of getting some new wheels - looked at several options including November nimbus or custom alloy as well as Duara Ace Clinchers and just this weekend I tried out Giant's high end Carbon Aero wheels and am slated to try a set of their Carbon Climbing wheels as well.

While at the Giant shop - I saw a stunning deal on a Defy (2015) Pro 0 selling for well below MSRP - this bike comes with Ultregra DI2 and Giant's higher end carbon disc wheels.

I am also going to take out the 2016 TCR for a couple of days since I am keen to see the difference between my Defy and the TCR.

Both bikes are quite a bit more coin than just buying a set of wheels - although the wheels come in @ 2300.00 CAD for the pair.

I guess I am just rambling my thoughts trying to figure out if I am best served buying some new wheels and continue going with my Defy adv 3 - the bike is comfortable - i routinely ride 100-150 kms and feel great on it - no pains or complaints.

The astounding difference with he wheels this weekend in terms of power transfer left me wondering if a new stiffer bike wouldn't maybe be something exciting - maybe I have outgrown my defy - or maybe another bike would compliment it for shorter/faster rides?

Curious to hear some thoughts from those who have been in the position where you have a bike that you do well on and are wondering if it is time to upgrade your wheels or maybe look into something new altogether.

Of course taking out the TCR for a couple of days will tell me much of what i need to know. The defy on sale can only be ridden right by the shop - so I won't have the same perspective on the one.

My review of the Giant SLR 0 Carbon Aero wheels can be found here if interested:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/giant-slr-0-aero-wheels-354307.html

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Disc? You said disc? That's must be why they are giving it away...

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
walk...no run...no sprint away from any road bike with disc brakes.

thank me later

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasn't looking for a disc bike but know I like the frame and the components )di2 and wheels are nice).
Why do you two feel that disc on it is a no no? I am not looking to turn this into another disc thread - there are enough already but am curious as hy you both feel this way.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Disc brakes - oh boy here we go.

If you are happy and comfortable on your current bike, stick with it. I think a wheel upgrade is a great way to freshen the ride on an older bike, not that yours is old. I don't know enough of the Giant models to comment on what you'd get with the new one. I have many bikes but I feel like each one (other than my vintage steel bikes) has specific purpose and significant differences in ride features. I've bought all my bikes used as well so the financial outlay (other than 2 sets of carbon wheels) hasn't been huge.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I say try the TCR. It's should be a different ride quality for you. That bike is one of my favortite race oriented rides, but the headtube height makes it one that is more accessible than other race bikes might be. It's a fun bike for sure. If you don't like that, I recommend staying with your current bike and getting new wheels.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
That UI2 is a really good group. . .

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rashadabd,
I will have the TCR Pro 1 for a couple of days to take on local rides so it will be interesting for sure as I have done these rides hundreds of times with my Defy.
The wheels were an eye opener and being that my total experience is on my Defy - I would like to see what else is out there and what real world difference it makes.

Thanks for the feedback.

I say try the TCR. It's should be a different ride quality for you. That bike is one of my favortite race oriented rides, but the headtube height makes it one that is more accessible than other race bikes might be. It's a fun bike for sure. If you don't like that, I recommend staying with your current bike and getting new wheels.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Rashadabd,
I will have the TCR Pro 1 for a couple of days to take on local rides so it will be interesting for sure as I have done these rides hundreds of times with my Defy.
The wheels were an eye opener and being that my total experience is on my Defy - I would like to see what else is out there and what real world difference it makes.

Thanks for the feedback.
No problem at all man. Given their pricing and the fact that they actually manufacture a number of other companies' bikes (Scott, Trek, etc.), Giant bikes are a really good value. The TCR is their best bike IMO. My understanding is that the Defy is right behind it, but I haven't spent enough time on one to be able to confirm that. I am looking forward to hearing what you think after your test.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wasn't looking for a disc bike but know I like the frame and the components )di2 and wheels are nice).
Why do you two feel that disc on it is a no no? I am not looking to turn this into another disc thread - there are enough already but am curious as hy you both feel this way.
I was just kidding...

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
My only recommendation is ride the same wheels and tires on both bikes to get a more objective comparison (if possible ie...10 v 11 speed).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,436 Posts
You may want to post this in the "Wheels & Tires" section. There are a few very knowledgeable wheelbuilders there who could give you some recommendations.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I'll bet you end up on the TCR... with DA wheels!

Seriously, though, one nice thing about the Dura-Ace wheels is the alloy braking surface while having some of the benefits of carbon in other parts of the wheel.

If you have the means, having two bikes is not a bad thing... you've got your nice bike and then you've got the spare for trainer/bad weather/loaner/backup while good one's in shop/etc. I find that I still ride both of my road bikes quite a bit, maybe 80/20 most of the time but 50/50 or even 25/75 in the winter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They ar call great options - and I can see the value in any of the outcomes - I am just trying to stretch my cycling $$ to maximize the enjoyment for dollar value here.
Having a 2nd bike would allow all you mentioned - I am riding in Battenkill and won't have to beat up my nice new ride - or if one needs a part/maintenance etc ...
The dura ace wheels are appealing - especially at the price I can get them for.

The giant Aero wheels felt good and made the riding more lively and allowed for better accelration. Looking to try the climbing carbons on my defy as well as on the TCR.
I think more than anything riding the TCR will tell me what I need to know.

The Defy Pro 0 is nice - has the carbon wheels and UI2 - so definite upgrades there - but buying the same frame when mine is still in great shape seems redundant...

I'll bet you end up on the TCR... with DA wheels!

Seriously, though, one nice thing about the Dura-Ace wheels is the alloy braking surface while having some of the benefits of carbon in other parts of the wheel.

If you have the means, having two bikes is not a bad thing... you've got your nice bike and then you've got the spare for trainer/bad weather/loaner/backup while good one's in shop/etc. I find that I still ride both of my road bikes quite a bit, maybe 80/20 most of the time but 50/50 or even 25/75 in the winter.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Jeez the disc thing is like cancer. However forget negative disc stuff and think about what bike you wish to have. There is nothing wrong with having 2 bikes. You wind up riding them both for different types of rides. Sometimes you sell one off or use it on the trainer. All sorts of possibilities. However I cannot tell you what you should buy or not as we all have different thoughts.

I think in general people buy their first bike and within 2 years they move to something that fits their preferences closer if they take on cycling for a long term activity. I know a guy that shows up for the Saturday ride on a different bike week after week after week. He has carbon bikes, steel bikes, aluminum bikes, mixed material bikes, cross bikes, fixie bikes etc, etc.. He has a bike made from 4x4's, a bike with a car steering wheel on it, a bike that is a double decker, and who knows what else. Last Saturday he showed up on a Raleigh from the 70's. He said he just got it and stayed with the group without any problems. Every Saturday I always take a look at what he is riding. A few weeks ago he was on a new Carbon bike and he was hopping curbs on it and riding off the side of the road in the ditch. He races cyclocross so he has skills that I do not have. If I go into the ditch I am going down.

Anyway enjoy your new bike products whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I upgraded my 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2 with Boyd Altamont Aluminum wheels. This was a great upgrade for me as the wheels are stiffer than the PR-2's the bike came with. Very fast wheels and climb/descend great. I could not be happier.

I cannot lie in that when I was considering the upgrade, I was looking hard at Boyd's (boydcycling.com) 44mm disc brake wheelsets but did not pull the trigger. That thought continues to play around in my mind but don't think I can justify the change now with the Altamonts. They are that good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Mode of transport Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle fork

Interesting thread for me since I purchased a new 2015 Defy Advanced 1 a few months ago and have ridden it about 420 miles at this point. This new bike was going to replace my 2010 Defy Advanced 3 which was in need of a drive train re build & upgrade plus the new Defy was on sale at a great close out price.....I couldn't resist!

I started riding the new Defy which came with TRP Spyre disc brakes and noticed an improvement over the Tektro brakes that came with the old Defy.

Since I was now riding the new bike, I decided to keep the old bike and upgrade it. First I replaced the original (and terrible) Tektro brakes with Ultegra's which was a very surprising HUGE improvement, in fact the Ultegra stop much better the the TRP Spyre disc's on the new bike.

Next I installed a set of November Pacenti SL 23's which are much lighter and wider than the old original Mavic wheels which sweetened the ride even more. Soon after I added a 6800 Ultegra crankset.....I will eventually upgrade the to Ultegra Shifters, derailers and cassette also. I have lowered the handlebars and basically have turned the old Defy Advanced 3 into sort of a TCR clone. Current weight is sitting at just over 18 lbs. I ride about 80 to 90 miles a week alternating between both bikes.

In summary, here are some of my thoughts comparing both bikes:

The New Defy Advanced is a nice bike but, I don't like how the internal cables rattle, the old Defy is dead silent. The TRP Spyres are ok but they do not stop or even modulate as well as the Ultegra caliper brakes.

The new Defy Advanced 1 is about 1.5 lbs heavier due to the factory wheels, disc brakes and full housing internal cables. The new 2015 Defy rides smoother due to the new frame and seat post design. I will ride the new Defy in my first century ride this year next weekend just because it has a smoother ride.

Would I buy the new Defy again and does the positive outweigh the negative compared to the 2010 Defy? No I probably would not......I am not as impressed with the new "advances".....Disc brakes and internal cables as much as I thought I would be. I would simply upgrade my old ride as I have been doing and have just one do it all road bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts