Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first CX bike, a Mtn. Cycle Stumptown. I am going to use it as my work commuter , as a fire road cranker and as a rain trainer and who knows maybe a cross race. My commute involes a very steep fire road and being from the Pacific NW rain can and will happen. Mud will fly no question. My question is one of wheels. The frame takes 135mm in the rear and I am going to use disc brakes. Should I build up an XT hub and an ma40 rim or go with a Mavic speedcity wheelset? I can't afford a gucci wheel set so a Chris Kink / sapiam spoked wheel is not in the offing. If you were in my saddlet what would you build up and why?

Thanks.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Hey Crank it

you wouldn't be talking about Forest Park would you? steep fire lane sounds familiar for me there. Good choice on the stumptown MC. Did you buy it from Bill @ Cyclepath? If so let Bill help you out with some wheel choices. If not Mike Garcia @ Oddsandendos.com builds some great wheels cheap. Hope to see you at the CrossCrusade this fall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Phat&SlowVelo said:
you wouldn't be talking about Forest Park would you? steep fire lane sounds familiar for me there. Good choice on the stumptown MC. Did you buy it from Bill @ Cyclepath? If so let Bill help you out with some wheel choices. If not Mike Garcia @ Oddsandendos.com builds some great wheels cheap. Hope to see you at the CrossCrusade this fall.
Yep, Portland boy with a commute over Saltzman/ Springville. Yep, again, [email protected] was the one who brought up the Speedcity wheels. Told me they have had no problems with them at all. Told me today that they bought up 100% of the Mtn. Cycle Stumptown frames. I am not all that knowledgeable about cyclocross and was looking for more opinions. Great shop.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
hey Crank it

crank it said:
Yep, Portland boy with a commute over Saltzman/ Springville. Yep, again, [email protected] was the one who brought up the Speedcity wheels. Told me they have had no problems with them at all. Told me today that they bought up 100% of the Mtn. Cycle Stumptown frames. I am not all that knowledgeable about cyclocross and was looking for more opinions. Great shop.
Yes Bill bought up the remaining inventory of the now defunct Mountain Cycle, I decided to join you in buying one also, get a little bit of Portland Nostalgia while I still can. ;)
Gonna race it at the CrossCrusade, (mayabe I can beat somebody on a specialized) :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.